1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Found the perfect neoprene pouch for GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jhob, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I had been looking around for a really compact case for my GF1 and not really finding anything entirely suitable until I came across the optech D-Compact case, which I think was recommended on another forum. Managed to track one down at Morris Photographic for just over £20 including postage, which I thought was a bit steep but they were the only place in the UK I could find it available and if it is what I wanted then it would be worth it.

Anyway it arrived today and it's absolutely perfect. Fits the GF1 like a glove, is compact and offers a reasonable amount of protection and I can just stuff the case into a pocket when I want to use the camera. Only issue I have with it is that the closing push buttons are a bit stiff, I think I might put a bit of velcro on mine instead.

I'll post a picture of the camera in the pouch at some point. Definitely recommended anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  2. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yep, thats the one I have, i bought it when I had a D-Lux4 and grip.

Fits the GF1 & 20mm perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Sounds very good. I might become envious. Right now I just use some sort of thickish microfiber cloth for my E-P2.

4. ballfresno

ballfresno Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    West Sussex, UK
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was actually looking for somewhere to buy optech camera straps!

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm, I got the d-small and thought it was a good fit, although a hair loose. Is the d-compact a really tight fit?

6. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I wouldn't say it was a really tight fit, but I would say that it's just right. There is a light pressure exerted from the elasticity of the pouch on the camera which I think is just right.

The dimensions of the D-Small are smaller than the D-Compact which would suggest that if you found the D-Small loose, the D-Compact would be moreso.

Forgot to mention I have the 20mm pancake on my GF1.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I thought about this myself as I used something similar for my Canon G10 that my daughter now owns.

I ended up going for the Panasonic leather ever ready case for GF1+20mm, I am glad I did as this case is superbly made from "real leather", it is now softening up nicely yet still protects the camera well - I can fit the camera in the case in my coat pocket, two quick studs to undo to drop front and take photo or two more studs to undo and whole front can be removed leaving half case on camera.

This is a much better choice for me and it is smaller and faster and I suspect better made and probably longer lasting than the neoprene one - it did cost me £60 though, but that was 10% of the camera/lens cost so I see it as a fair investment to protect my kit.

8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I bought and sold the Panasonic Case, I loved the bottom half, but for me, when I take it out of the case, I need to "store" the case somewhere, the optech one just goes in the pocket, but I agree the panasonic 2 piece case is a very good deal compared to some on the internet.

I suggest the reason Linh found the Small a bit loose is that the depth on the D-Small is actually bigger than the D-Compact. I find the D-Compact to be a complete "snug" fit with the GF1 & 20mm. I find this the perfect solution (as is the Pano Leather one) for just chucking in a rucksack or something.

D-Small (4.4"w x 3.5"h x 3.25"d) - vs - D-Compact (4.8"w x 3.5"h x 3"d)

I have actually just ordered the Olympus Retro Medium bag after seeing the small at Harrisons, a lovely soft worn leather look, which will fit my current m4/3 kit in it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Morris are a good company, have used them a number of times in the past and they have always been reliable with decent prices. Don't let the dated website put you off.

10. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    neoprene

Ty for the link , i bought this neoprene D compact, it fits the EP2 + 14-42 or 20mm like a glove.
    I have not yet decided if i will modify it to accept the EVF or not.

11. FridayFriday

FridayFriday New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2011
    Do these guys ship to Canada? Seems like they don't. Does anyone know of where we can buy similar tight sleeves like these in Canada? Cheers!