Found some vintage gear including underwater flashgun

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by knfeparty, Dec 24, 2013.

1. knfeparty

knfeparty Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    My dad pulled some of this stuff out. He still has the nikkonos underwater 35mm camera that used this huge underwater off-camera flash. He was telling me that it works like a radio commander, flashing when the on-camera flash fires. It has a couple of cables with 3-prong connectors that look like they could hook up to a camera as well.

There was also a nice vivitar flashgun with a full set of filters/diffusers, and it is the 90* adjustable variety. I don't have a "real" flash right now and would love if this would work but alas it doesn't have a hotshoe connector, just a cable that of course is for stuff way older than micro 4/3 cameras.

What I can use is the two nikon "close up attachments," which are 52mm adapters that thread into a couple of nikkor lenses I already have. They are 1.5 and 2.0 diopter and I look forward to doing some Macro shots with them in the future.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Neato! Mount that underwater flash on a GM1 haha ;) 

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If the "cable" is a PC sync cord, you can get a cheap adapter that goes onto your hotshoe and has that as an input. Costs about $12 on Amazon.

4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    But it would be safer to buy a slightly more expensive adaptor called a "Safe Sync". Some of those old flashes have high sync voltages that can destroy modern cameras. The safe sync steps it down to a safe level. If in doubt and unable to test, get teh safe sync.

5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    +100

You can test the flash voltage with a multi meter. If the voltage at the flash terminals is more than 5-8 Volts, a safe sync adaptor should be used. You can also check here
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    All of the ones i have seen also have a safe sync. And Panasonic has confirmed their hoyshoe can handle high voltages, the flash just may not operate correctly all the time.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.