Found some vintage gear including underwater flashgun

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by knfeparty, Dec 24, 2013.

1. knfeparty

knfeparty Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    My dad pulled some of this stuff out. He still has the nikkonos underwater 35mm camera that used this huge underwater off-camera flash. He was telling me that it works like a radio commander, flashing when the on-camera flash fires. It has a couple of cables with 3-prong connectors that look like they could hook up to a camera as well.

There was also a nice vivitar flashgun with a full set of filters/diffusers, and it is the 90* adjustable variety. I don't have a "real" flash right now and would love if this would work but alas it doesn't have a hotshoe connector, just a cable that of course is for stuff way older than micro 4/3 cameras.

What I can use is the two nikon "close up attachments," which are 52mm adapters that thread into a couple of nikkor lenses I already have. They are 1.5 and 2.0 diopter and I look forward to doing some Macro shots with them in the future.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Neato! Mount that underwater flash on a GM1 haha ;)
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If the "cable" is a PC sync cord, you can get a cheap adapter that goes onto your hotshoe and has that as an input. Costs about $12 on Amazon.
  4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    But it would be safer to buy a slightly more expensive adaptor called a "Safe Sync". Some of those old flashes have high sync voltages that can destroy modern cameras. The safe sync steps it down to a safe level. If in doubt and unable to test, get teh safe sync.
  5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013

You can test the flash voltage with a multi meter. If the voltage at the flash terminals is more than 5-8 Volts, a safe sync adaptor should be used. You can also check here
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    All of the ones i have seen also have a safe sync. And Panasonic has confirmed their hoyshoe can handle high voltages, the flash just may not operate correctly all the time.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app