1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Found OLY 14-150 New .. $450.. any good?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrDoug, Oct 7, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I was shopping around today in Cam shops in Seattle and found a Olympus 14-150 on Sale for $450 dollars.. is that a good price and a good lens????.. I have been looking for a zoom with longer range and better than my Oly 14-42R kit until something else and FASTER hits the streets.. What is your take? :smile:

2. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Most people seem to speak pretty highly of it but I have no first hand experience.

As far as price goes, it is selling for $519 at Adorama so $450 is a good price, although local sales tax rates will cut into your savings.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Only zoom I carry in my daily bag. Covers a nice range, is compact in comparison to other zooms, and pretty sharp. I paid that price used with a Hoya uv/haze filter. The hood reverse mounts. Good all round shooter.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Pixel peepers don't love it, but I can't imagine a better travel lens - I've used it extensively on the road. And it's waaay smaller and lighter than anything else with the same focal range. Compare it to the Pany 14-140 and decide which one you'd rather carry around all day - not even close. Not sure about prices though - sounds like a good deal - not sure if it's a great one.

-Ray

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Big and bulky is a relative thing. As m4/3 lenses go, my Lumix 14-140mm is big and bulky, but only in comparison to other m4/3 lenses. In absolute terms it is still a small lens for it's specifications. With that in mind, the M Zuiko 14-150mm is a few hundred grams lighter again so I definitely wouldn't be describing it as big and bulky.

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, I appreciate and respect the feedback.. all the photos I have seen look very good.. thanks much.. I will probably pick it up in the morning.. I will let you know how I like!

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have never used it, but it sure looks great. But I also think that all the lenses for this system are great when scaled for their price. I would challenge some know-it-alls to identify which shot come from which lens in a blind test if there is no EXIF.

From my point of view, they're all great. If you're unhappy with them, spend 2-4 times as much and buy into a full frame system or a Leica. Quality per dollar with weight factored in somehow and ALL of the lenses are great (not good....great).

13. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I had one but sold it to get some primes.. I loved it.

Here's a shot with it:

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Also what I find hard is the term adequate. It has thousands of different levels depending who is saying that. Still I'm too looking adequate IQ for my purposes, not the absolute best world can offer ;-)

RT_Panther, those results look adequate enough for me.

15. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Hey, if you don't mind sharing, which store? I haven't found very many m 4/3 deals around here in Seattle. Thanks!

16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi.. it was at Talls at Bellevue Square! It had been openend and fiddled with so I just made an offer! I have not been back.. as I am still debating.. I may go there today.. I think those stores will match anything you find on the internet if they have a item that is collecting dust..:smile: