1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Found a stash of OM lenses!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by phrenic, Jul 4, 2011.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Courtesy of my parents, I have stumbled over an OM-4 camera (too young to have ever used film myself), a 50mm 1.8, 28mm 3.5, and a 75-150 f4. Has anyone tried out these lenses? I don't have super high expectations of any of them, but it is a fun change of pace from my current lenses.

I already have a Canon FD 50 1.8 but this one is smalller and has a far better build quality.

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Good for you! The 50 1.8 has several variations over the years - the latest are considered the best - a little soft wide open, but very solid. Haven't used the 28. The 75-150 is an 'average' zoom - contrast not that great. Nice to have dual controls for focus and zoom. OM build quality is consistently good and have a good 'feel'.

The key is how YOU like them, of course! BTW, you will need to decide whether you want to set the aperture to stop down with the ring, or when you press the 'Preview' button. As is, the lens will stay wide open, no matter what the Aperture ring says. The mod is simple: cut a piece of plastic (eg old credit card) and use to hold the aperture lever open at back of each lens. (Easier done than described!)

Have fun!

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Any adapter worth its salt has a protruding pin to stop down the aperture as you turn the ring. If you prefer using the DOF preview button, you must remove that first.

The lenses themselves are correct. The 50mm, provided it came with the OM-4, should be a late one, better than the original silver nose version (although I like those early models, because as a portrait lens on :43:, they are softer).

The 28/3.5 is nothing to brag about, it's really slow for a normal (again, considering it will be used on a :43: body), but it's decently sharp. It was the 'budget' WA in its days. Got one on my desk, the magic of this lens is to have exactly the same size and handling as the 50mm.

My least fav' is the 75-150, which really isn't extraordinary. It was a good zoom lens in the 70s', but time has taken its toll, and today the results are very very soft, and the 150-300 range :)43: equiv.) makes it really difficult to handle steadily - no tripod ring on the lens, and I wouldn't put the weight solely on the camera's mount. Also, some inside lenses that are glued together are prone to separation due to the aging of the bond - beware.

The best part of the package, IMHO, is the OM-4 itself, if it's still in working order. Better if it's a 4T (or 4Ti in europe).

Cheers,

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    :2thumbs:

OM-4 is an amazing piece of kit.

At the very least you owe it to yourself to put the 50 f1.8 on it, loading some film and shooting old-school (albiet the OM-4 is pretty much a pinnacle of manual-focus modern SLR shooting).

Just make sure you have a spare set of batteries if you have an older model.

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    What they said about the OM4. The lenses are the standard "amateur" outfit for their day (50 f1.something, slower wide, tele zoom) and may predate the body. Even in the film days people upgraded bodies.

6. Don't know about the zoom. I prefer the OM 50/1.8 over the Canon FD 50/1.8. The 28/3.5 is nicely built like all OM lenses. It sounds fairly pedestrain on paper but compared to the OM 28/2.8 at equivalent apertures I wouldn't say that it is noticably better or worse, it just loses the extra 2/3 stop wide open.

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Well, I got mine along my OM-1 (w/ 50/1.8, 28/3.5 and a couple of x2 converters). Never used it much. Some times later, I bought a (silvernose) 135/3.5, and never looked back. This short tele is great value for money.

Those 3 lenses have been my companions for years, until :43: - never let me down.

Oh, I've got a Tamron zoom too, 35-100/3.5~4.3 - the only non-Olympus OM lens I've used with any regularity. Mighty good zoom, and a handy 1:4 macro position, very sharp. Downside : no stop down button (a necessity on OM mount lenses, as you can't manually stop down a lens from the body), so exclusively used for the 'touristic snapshots' for lack of DOF preview. Now that we're speaking of it, I have overlooked trying it on my e-p1 - this is suddenly opening a whole new realm of possibilities... hum... [edit] he he he, just tried : https://www.mu-43.com/f81/tamron-35-100mm-f-3-5-4-3-om-mount-image-thread-13823/#post124358 --- Yummy !

Cheers,

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    D'oh! In my rush to dig through the stuff before having to go to work I misidentified the camera..it's an OM-2. :frown:

Thanks for the comments guys..was kind of on the fence about ordering an adapter, but I should pick one up when I get the chance..

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The OM-2 was a fantastic camera in its day too. The meters in my OM-2ns are unbelievably clever and don't get me wrong, I love the 50/1.8 (and the 24/2.8). I had a copy of the 75-150 but it wasn't great unlike the Pentax M version I used to own.

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Every single digit OM body is a jewel in its own right. You should give it a go anyway.

Both lenses are solid performers. Not extraordinary like a leica lens might be, but you can't beat the price and the adapter is worth it.

Cheers,

11. Flagg

Flagg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Apeldoorn, Netherlands
    I just received the f1.8 50mm myself today and so far I just love it. Although I haven't seen the pictures yet. (just on the display)

MF is good fun also, I'm hooked on these old legacy lenses me thinks.:biggrin:

A few pictures I just made

12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Nice find!

Phrenic:

Nice find! I've been an Oly user for most of my 30+ years of shooting, shooting with OM-1s before going to the four thirds E-500 DSLR. I only recently bought the 70-150mm F4 OM as a lighter replacement for my Oly four-thirds 45-150mm and an OM 135mm F2.8. The range is not as great, but I have found the photo quality to be pretty decent on both my E-500 four thirds and E-P1 and E-PL1. And, most importantly, it's light and compact, really well designed for the OM bodies and balances well on the E-series DSLRs also (it is a tad big for the :43: EPs with the adapter). Interestingly I find that I use it more for non-action video on the E-P1 (kids' school concerts, etc). When I get home this evening I will post some sample images.

13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool! Would love to see them. :)

14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Photos with OM 70-150 Zuiko

Phrenic:

Sample photos with 70-150 attached. Note that these were taken using my E-500 DSLR, but sensor size is the same as the E-Ps. Some softness/noise due to high ISO setting.

Buildings.

Leaves1.

Steeple.

Mallard.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    You should buy a few rolls of film and use the OM-2 occasionally. Find a processing shop that will give you a scan at a reasonable price and have fun with it. It will give you an appreciation of the capabilities of digital cameras. The Olympus OM series of cameras were groundbreaking in their time, but Olympus abandoned them. The designer was a self-described Leica fan and you can see a lot of that influence in the size and such of the camera.

I am anxious to see how some of my old Olympus gear works with an adapter when an E-PL2 I ordered arrives. I have an adapter to µ4/3rds and a macro adapter that I want to try with the 50mm lenses I have along with several others that I think will be a lot of fun when used with the µ4/3rds 2x crop factor. I am especially wanting to try a 180mm f2.8 for available light photography and a 300mm f4.5 for birds or something. The 300mm, even though it is small for a 300mm lens, should be funny looking...a lens wearing a camera body as an accessory.

Considering the few dollars an adapter costs, just try the lenses and see how the results suit you. Who cares if they do not quite equal a new $800 lens? Have fun.

• Like Like x 2