1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Found a Great Use for my Olympus E-PL1

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

After purchasing an E-PL3 with improved auto-focus and high ISO and video - - - I was debating as to whether I should get rid of my E-PL1 or not.

Fortunately I didn't as I decided that it would be a perfect mate for my Holga lens that I purchased for it some time ago - - - except that I will leave it on permanently. That is unless my E-PL3 goes down, and then I have a capable backup.

Today was my first attempt at using that camera just for the purpose of creating some artsy shots to go along with my clean crisp shots taken with the E-PL3 and my 4/3 setup.

So the thing is that with the Holga lens on the E-PL1 - autofocus doesn't matter right. The lens is preset at f8, so there is no tinkering there. I just set the camera to the Auto Exposure modes and dial in plus(+) and minus(-) exposire values to suit each scenario I am faced with. The settings that I decided on for the E-PL1 setup with holga are ISO 800 for the most part and LN Jpeg being the resolution of the lens isn't going to benefit higher quality files and most importantly, setting the format to 6x6 square.

Anne took this shot of me with the Digital Holga, while we took a break to cool off:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robert Watcher

The event was the first ever Blyth Buskerfest in a small town 25 minutes from my home. Friends of ours who are in the music business, were helping put it on and let me in on it taking place. In actuality, I'd say it was more music than what I'd expect from other busker events. But that was fine.

I am just posting some of the shots that I took with the E-PL1 and Holga - with some creative processing that I did to the files for a more vintage feel. The rest of the 114 shots I processed can be viewed on my Facebook Page under the Photo Album for that event - Blyth Buskerfest 2012 | Facebook

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Robert Watcher

5)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

7)
    [​IMG]

8)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert Watcher

I did a few in tones black and white as well

9)
    [​IMG]

10)
    [​IMG]

11)
    [​IMG]

12)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Another good use would be to send it in for conversion to IR :smile:

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I'll never give up my E-PL1 even though I have newer, sexier model (the E-M5). It's what's inside is what counts and somehow
    the E-PL1's innards manage to capture crisper detail and richer straight out of the camera jpeg colors and than my E-M5:
    wattem5.
    wattepl1.

7. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Excellent shots Rob! Could you mind post couple of unprocessed pics please to have an idea of native Holga rendering on E-PL1? Looks like I need one too...

M4/3, I see no such difference with mine cameras, OOC from E-PL1 is excellent (low ISO at least), but OM-D is pretty much the same. Tends to overexpose a bit, that could decrease contrast and sharpness but not to extent you have shown... Could something be wrong with picture mode or setting?

8. Robert Watcher

Here are a couple of the unprocessed, straight out of camera shots for your comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is just nothing that can emulate the look exactly, even when I used the same processing steps as I did on the images I posted above with shots that I took with my E-PL3 - the image was too sharp and had too slick a look to it. All the more reason to keep the Holga/E-PL1 around for the natural darkened edges, soft fuzzy image with terrible bokeh - - - and just a plain cool look. BTW - I never changed focus for any of the shots - - - just set it between group and infinity, closer to infinity actually.

• Like Like x 1
  9. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Yeah, this lens definitely worth $16 :biggrin: Thanks Rob!

10. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I have been thinking about using my E-P2 for my Lensbaby exclusively. I had to send the OM in for repairs and it was great to have a back-up so I don't think I'll be selling it anyway.

11. super slinky

super slinky Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 14, 2012
    I Like the photos! :smile:

12. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    Very interesting st of images. The comparison between the originals and your post-processed versions has given me food for thought. The addition of the vintage feel works very well. Thanks for sharing.

13. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Is there a way to get a look at full resolution versions of these two photos? I'm curious about the difference in noise at ISO 200 between the E-PL1 (which I own) and the E-M5. On my E-PL1, noise often shows up at ISO 200 in shadows and blue skies (OOC jpegs with noise filter set to low). It doesn't bother me much, but I'm curious whether the same is the case with the E-M5. Thanks.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great idea, might have to try this with my E-P1, better than letting it sit around collecting dust!

15. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I just got an E-PL1 from Cameta. I'd like to duplicate the results you see. Could you share whatever tweaks and custom settings you use, any adjustments to WB, picture mode, etc?

Thanks.

16. Robert Watcher

I threw them into Pixlr-o-matic for the processing. I forget exactly what settings I used - I never keep track of that type of thing. But it may have been "Aladin" with the dial spun to the red section. There are also some presets in Pixlr Express.

I have Pixlr-o-matic and Pixlr Express on my Free Web Tools website - Pixlr-o-matic - Online Image Editor

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    For outdoor shooting under sunny skies I use:
    Vivid picture mode, +1 sharpness
    Gradation: Normal
    Sunshine (5300 Kelvin) white balance
    While balance compensation -1 Amber + 1 Green OR I sometimes use -2 Amber and 0 Green

18. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Terrific! I'm gonna change the settings right now, and see what I get.

19. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Another set of E-PL1 settings I like using for landscape work on sunny days is:

i-Enhance picture mode
    +1 sharpness
    Gradation: Normal
    Effect: Low
    Sunshine (5300 kelvin) White balance
    -2 Amber, +1 green white balance compensation.

Gives me real lively colors, but not quite to the point of looking wildly artificial.