Found a good, very cheap, wide converter for the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
The Fuji adapter popped up on ebay recently and I picked one up for $12.

Used it pretty extensively on a recent vacation. Overall impression is that the ~10.5mm perspective is really nice; I enjoy this focal length a lot. The adapter doesn't add any noticable distortion or vignetting beyond what the P14 has on its own (i.e. if you apply lens corrections with the default P14 parameters, you won't notice any issues). This thing is tack sharp in the center at all apertures, very impressive. The corners are another matter; extreme corners are very soft wide open, improving to "soft but ok" at f/5.6+. Real world results are quite usable, especially if you adjust composition so as to put less detailed subject matter in the extreme corners.

Some examples. Disclaimer: since there's no metadata to indicate whether the converter was attached or not, I can't be 100% certain these photos had the converter attached. That being said, the degradation in corner quality is usually noticeable enough at 100% to be confident.

F/2.5
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Royal Palace II by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

F/4
Royal Palace I by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

Notre Dame II by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

F/5-5.6
Amsterdam centraal by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

P7134449 by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

Sainte Chapelle III by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

Last edited:

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting. What aperture are these photos taken at Paul? Wide open? If so that's very different from my experience. If you look at the top right corner of the first photo I posted (f/2.5, the interior scene), you can see how little detail there is in the gold trim compared to one ceiling joist over.

Perhaps there's some copy-to-copy variation. Or maybe the thickness of the step ring matters? I'm just using a relatively generic, cheap step ring. My 14mm is quite sharp (in fact it's by comparing the 14mm with and without the converter that the corner softness was so obvious), so I doubt that's the issue. At $12, it might be worth buying another copy just to see if it improves things.

Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
I confess, those pics were shot by my E-P5 on a tripod, using a timer, at f7.1 or f/8. I sharpened the hell out of them. And I focused using focus peaking, making sure some white dots lit up in the corners.
I do use a very thin step ring. It is marked simply 46mm-43mm. It;s from Amazon or eBay but I don't recall the brand and I'm afraid I can't find it in my email history though I've searched a half-dozen ways.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Interesting. What aperture are these photos taken at Paul? Wide open? If so that's very different from my experience. If you look at the top right corner of the first photo I posted (f/2.5, the interior scene), you can see how little detail there is in the gold trim compared to one ceiling joist over.

Perhaps there's some copy-to-copy variation. Or maybe the thickness of the step ring matters? I'm just using a relatively generic, cheap step ring. My 14mm is quite sharp (in fact it's by comparing the 14mm with and without the converter that the corner softness was so obvious), so I doubt that's the issue. At $12, it might be worth buying another copy just to see if it improves things.
Except that it's no longer easily found for $12 like it was when I first started this thread. As the originator of this thread, I would say that my experience, with multiple units of this converter on multiple lenses, the biggest variable will be the specific target lens, and the actual distance between the rear of the converter and the front of the target lens - which is a function of the lens itself and the step-ring that gets used. But I will say, my experience is that the adapted lens is sharp in the middle, and soft - but not to the point of not being unusable, at the corners. I should add that the Sony VCL-ECU1 is sharper in the corners on the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens. I now use my one remaining Fujifilm converter (I sold the two others I had) on my Nikon 1 10mm lens, which is a 27mm equivalent that becomes a 20mm equivalent with the converter

Last edited:

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Well for a couple of years, this Fujifilm converter was also tough to find. In fact, I sold my spares for $30 each + shipping last year, to buyers who had read this thread and were unable to find them. I may replace those again at $12 ;)

BTW, to the poster who tried this with an extremely thin step-ring and found very soft corners, that very thin step ring might be useful to try to adapt the 12-32mm zoom. With a normal thickness step-ring, it vignettes badly until you get to 14mm, thus defeating the allure of using this on the 12-32

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin
The Fuji adapter popped up on ebay recently and I picked one up for $12.

Used it pretty extensively on a recent vacation. Overall impression is that the ~10.5mm perspective is really nice; I enjoy this focal length a lot. The adapter doesn't add any noticable distortion or vignetting beyond what the P14 has on its own (i.e. if you apply lens corrections with the default P14 parameters, you won't notice any issues). This thing is tack sharp in the center at all apertures, very impressive. The corners are another matter; extreme corners are very soft wide open, improving to "soft but ok" at f/5.6+. Real world results are quite usable, especially if you adjust composition so as to put less detailed subject matter in the extreme corners.

Some examples. Disclaimer: since there's no metadata to indicate whether the converter was attached or not, I can't be 100% certain these photos had the converter attached. That being said, the degradation in corner quality is usually noticeable enough at 100% to be confident.

F/2.5
View attachment 668732Royal Palace II by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

F/4
View attachment 668733Royal Palace I by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

View attachment 668734Notre Dame II by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

F/5-5.6
View attachment 668735Amsterdam centraal by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

View attachment 668736P7134449 by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr

View attachment 668737Sainte Chapelle III by Ryan Martinie, on Flickr
These look great. I have the same Fuji adapter with the Panasonic 14mm but I am getting some mild vignetting with my Sensei 46-43mm step down ring. Can you tell me what step ring you use? It must be thinner? Thanks.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks. I have the same ring. Did you have some vignetting before correction?
Before correction, definitely. The 14mm has quite a bit of vignetting even without the converter (at least wide open), but for me the auto-corrections take care of it equally well with and without the converter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom