Found a good, very cheap, wide converter for the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was not using the Panasonic lens... I have the 14-42 EZ Olympus lens. I can't remember the number of the Sony adapter.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I was not using the Panasonic lens... I have the 14-42 EZ Olympus lens. I can't remember the number of the Sony adapter.
The point is, all of the various Sony wide adapters are different. You can't generalize that any one model will perform like any other model on any specific lens you try it on.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
But it cost me $12 for the Fuji and $2 for the step-up ring. Well worth the price.
I think that's the point. It costs $12 + $2 and the results are eminently useable, compared to other converters that cost well over $100, and other native lenses that cost $500+ Yes, if you pixel peep them, the more expensive solutions are going to be somewhat better. But not that much in real life use that the $12 Fuji converter doesn't make a really nice cheap solution for someone who's only going to shoot ultra-wide occasionally, and can't justify an expensive lens for that.

Real Name
Rob
Does the auto-focus still work when you do this kind of thing with WA adapters?

I just dug out an old Canon camcorder WA-28 wide adapter. It's 28mm thread but goes OK in front of the p14 (presumably a 28-46 step down would work). BUT I couldn't get it to focus at all, manually or with AF. So I'm guessing maybe the lens is just not compatible. I believe it's a 0.6x so perhaps that's the problem?

Rob

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Does the auto-focus still work when you do this kind of thing with WA adapters?
In my experience, if the lens + converter is still sharp in the center of the frame where the AF points are, and it's not too heavy for the mechanism in the lens itself, the AF will still work fine. Any of the converters that I have mentioned as being usable on the 14mm, which includes the Sony VCL-ECU1, The Fujifilm WL-FXE01, or the Panasonic DMW-GWC1, the AF works fine with the 14mm lens and those converters.

If the AF doesn't work, it generally means that there is no sharp focus point with the lens + converter combo - in other words, the converter is not a match for the target lens. It may also mean that the converter has to either be significantly closer or further from the front element of the target lens than it is in your current adaptation to achieve focus.

Real Name
Rob
Thanks Doug,

That also confirms my suspicion that my Canon adapter will not work at all, since I tried moving it from as close as possible to far away, and adjusting focus manually, and never got anything even close to in-focus.

Rob

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
The point is, all of the various Sony wide adapters are different. You can't generalize that any one model will perform like any other model on any specific lens you try it on.
I don't mean to generalize, just tried something I have laying around and posted my results :wink:

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I don't mean to generalize, just tried something I have laying around and posted my results :wink:
Which would have been more informative if you remembered which wide converter you posted the results for - My point was, without actually knowing which one it was, all WE could do is make a generalized assumption that one of them gave the results you posted, but without knowing which one, it wasn't that useful. It's like posting a distorted picture and saying that the image came from a lens - but not telling anyone WHICH lens it came from.

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
Which would have been more informative if you remembered which wide converter you posted the results for - My point was, without actually knowing which one it was, all WE could do is make a generalized assumption that one of them gave the results you posted, but without knowing which one, it wasn't that useful. It's like posting a distorted picture and saying that the image came from a lens - but not telling anyone WHICH lens it came from.
Oh my, I guess I screwed up big time :biggrin: Anyway, it was not even a Sony brand buy something that I got for one of my Sony video recorders. It was nothing like anything you tried. Whatever, it did not work well, here is a picture of the perps

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Oh my, I guess I screwed up big time :biggrin: Anyway, it was not even a Sony brand buy something that I got for one of my Sony video recorders. It was nothing like anything you tried. Whatever, it did not work well, here is a picture of the perps

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Actually, I had tried a bunch of different converters, including one from Raynox - but one intended for SLR lenses, not a Camcorder, and several different Sony converters. In addition to the Sony VCL-ECU1 that I already had, Among those I tried were:

Sony VCL-MHG07 0.7x cost me $21 fits 52mm threads

Sony VCL-R0752 0.7x cost me $6 fits 52mm threads

JVC GLV0752U 0.7x cost me $7.50 fits 52mm threads

Raynox DCR-6600 0.66x HD cost me $10 fits 55mm threads (52mm size also available)

Fujifilm WL-FXE01 0.76x cost me $12 fits 43mm threads

Digital Optics 0.5x Pro High Definition with Macro - had it already from an older camera - fits 62mm threads.

Of these, the only ones really worth contemplating using on the Panasonic 14mm were the Sony VCL-ECU1 and the Fujifilm WL-FXE01. All of the others either suffered from severe field curvature (by far the most common problem) significant linear distortion - to the point of getting a fisheye effect, or just general degradation of sharpness, including in the center of the image. A couple of them (Digital Optics and Sony VCL-MHG07) were also big and heavy enough that I'd fear for damage of the AF mechanism of the 14mm lens if used much.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
dougjgreen (or anyone one who has this combination); cant u post some landscape photos with this setup! i just bought it after reading your thread:)

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
So, I bought the converter, but don't yet have the Panasonic 14mm... so I went ahead and tested it on my Sigma 19mm. I did not do a very scientific test on this, since I couldn't figure out why I'd ever use this instead of just using the kit zoom. Nevertheless, here's my quickie test on my G5, iso 1600, f2.8, 1/25th of a second with the adapter,
1/20th without. They did go through my default RAW presets in Lightroom, but no other modifications.

View attachment 385143

View attachment 385144

Sinister

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Marcel
Many thanks for the tip! Just ordered the Fuji Converter and will report as soon as it arrives :)

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
So, I bought the converter, but don't yet have the Panasonic 14mm... so I went ahead and tested it on my Sigma 19mm. I did not do a very scientific test on this, since I couldn't figure out why I'd ever use this instead of just using the kit zoom. Nevertheless, here's my quickie test on my G5, iso 1600, f2.8, 1/25th of a second with the adapter,
1/20th without. They did go through my default RAW presets in Lightroom, but no other modifications.
I'd be curious as to how well this adapter works on the kit zoom at 14mm (I don't have a kit zoom to try it on).

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd be curious as to how well this adapter works on the kit zoom at 14mm (I don't have a kit zoom to try it on).
Reasonable question, but I'd need a 52-43mm step-down ring for that with my older Panasonic 14-42 (I bought the 46-43mm ring and was able to test the Sigma because it has 46mm threads, just like the Panasonic 14mm). That old kit lens with the adapter on it would be pretty large. It would fit on the newer Panasonic kit lens, but I don't have it (I wish my G5 had come with it, but alas, it did not).

My Panasonic 14mm should be in the mail, so I'll just need to be patient...

Real Name
Rob
I just held mine up to the front of the 14-42 kit zoom that came with my G3, and also to the 14-42 that came with my E-PM2. Both at 14mm - no screw adapters, just hand held.
But in both cases it vignettes badly, making it not really useful.

Rob

keszozda

Mu-43 Regular
I am tempted to buy one of these and try it on my 17mm 1.8, making it a 12.75mm. Its would be a cheap way to get a semi-wide prime.

Do you think I would run into focus or vignette issues?

Real Name
Rob
I am tempted to buy one of these and try it on my 17mm 1.8, making it a 12.75mm. Its would be a cheap way to get a semi-wide prime.

Do you think I would run into focus or vignette issues?
Short answer - I don't know.
Slightly longer one - I suspect it depends on the front element being sufficiently small diameter, and sufficiently close/flush to the front of the lens body.
Looking at pictures of that lens, it looks to have a front element diameter that may be similar to the P14, and the glass looks to be fairly well forward. So I wouldn't rule it out, but you'd need someone to actually test it for you (I don't have an O17 to try).

HTH (probably not much...)

Rob

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom