Fotopro X-Go Max $140 Adorama Deal of the Day

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
I thought about it as well. Only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is that it’s a few inches longer (folded) and a pound heavier (or kilo?) than the roadtripper. If I weren’t size and weight conscious I’d totally buy this though

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Looks pretty good to me. I've only shopped for "travel" tripods that get 50-60" high but fold down smaller and weigh less. But this one looks very competitive for its max height, which is considerable. It has four-section legs (which might be sturdier than five) and still folds down to smaller than 19". The center column must get really long, which can reduce stability if the tripod isn't built really well. If it's a really solid, sturdy tripod with all of the features you want, then yeah - it's a nice score. What I suspect helps to lower the price is the ball head; maybe also a lack of features like a reversible center column or a spiked base. Hard to tell - I wish Adorama listed more product specs.

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Looks pretty good to me. I've only shopped for "travel" tripods that get 50-60" high but fold down smaller and weigh less. But this one looks very competitive for its max height, which is considerable. It has four-section legs (which might be sturdier than five) and still folds down to smaller than 19". The center column must get really long, which can reduce stability if the tripod isn't built really well. If it's a really solid, sturdy tripod with all of the features you want, then yeah - it's a nice score. What I suspect helps to lower the price is the ball head; maybe also a lack of features like a reversible center column or a spiked base. Hard to tell - I wish Adorama listed more product specs.
any recommendations on travel tripods? I’ve been considering mefoto s carbon backpacker orroad tripper

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Maybe. I looked at quite a few, trying to find the right balance of sturdiness, compactness, and features. I'd been using a Velbon Ultra Maxi L, which folds to 14" and is very light, yet extends to over 60". I liked its pan/tilt head for the most part - but the tripod is thin on features and isn't especially sturdy. What I love about Velbon is how quickly and easily the legs can be extended and set. Wanting something sturdier for long exposures outdoors, I replaced it with this one by Oben. The legs take more work to get into position, but are very sturdy with short segments. The tripod has a professional build, operates fairly smoothly, and is better equipped for outdoor use. Max weight claims are lower than some more expensive tripods (9 lbs vs. over 20 lbs), but more than adequate for my gear. The camera plate is easily attached and removed without tools. Max extension is just right for me and doesn't make the tripod wobbly. It folds down to 12 inches and comes with a fairly good travel bag. And it's well-liked in reviews. I haven't used it in the field yet, but have handled it with my heaviest gear mounted to it and find nothing to complain about.

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
How do you like the ball head? I’ve been looking for a compact head but sent 2 back because they were jerky and tighter in one direction than the other

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
My initial test with my E-M1 II mounted was good - but I must admit I haven't had a chance to really use it. It's still a bit strange to me, being so used to a pan/tilt with a handle. And I have so little to compare it to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the encouragement. Tripod shipped today, I’ll let you know how it looks when I get it. According to my web searches, it has both a reversible center column and spiked feet.

Speaking of travel tripods, along with a few garbage tripods, my current tripod is a Dolica aluminum travel model that folds down to 12.5” and weighs in at 2.5 lbs. I’m not unhappy with it, although it it’s kind of fiddly to unfold. I’m hoping that the fotopro will make a good larger and sturdier companion to the Dolica.

I also replaced the Dolica head with a $20 ball head from Colorado Tripod Company, mainly to get Arca-Swiss compatibility. It seems like a pretty nice head for $20, although it has a strangely useless bubble level.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I have an aluminum MeFoto Roadtrip (the first version). It's a good travel tripod, but its diameter takes up a lot of room in a carry-on bag. I bought a used Benro Slim TSL08CN00 CF tripod. It's unique because of its slim profile, which means it can't reverse its legs like the MeFoto, but it's an inch smaller in diameter which means it takes up less space in the carry on bag or backpack. It's also over a pound lighter. I replaced the original ballhead with a Sirui B00K which is much smoother and about the same size. If I take the head off, it can easily fit in a carry-on. That's now my default travel tripod.

Sirui also makes some good tripods.

Last edited:

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
@steve16823 how do you like the colorado ballhead? Ive been looking at htem because they get good reveiws and are available. (The Sirui and other small heads seem to be always on backorder.). As I mentioned earlier, I tried a coupel of other small (and single-action) ball heads but they are jerky and uneven--or maybe jerky because they are uneven.

Let us know how you like the tripod. I'm still on the fence about them, making do with a monopod now.

@mp10s I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "jerky and uneven," but on the Colorado head the ball moves smoothly and freely in the socket throughout the range of motion and the panning feature is smooth and well-damped. I was really impressed with the quality for $20.

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Steve16823. What I mean is that the friction when moving on one plane (let's say "front-back") is a lot less than the friction on the other plane ("side-to-side"). When I tightened the control to make the front-back friction sufficient so the lens doesn't "drop", side-to-side movement became so tight that it was hard to move smoothly, and when it did it was abrupt. It sounds like you don't have that problem with Colorado so I may try one :)

Hmmm... i'm not sure i ever use the ball head in that fashion. It's either loose, and i'm supporting the camera with my hands, or it's tight.

I don't have lots of experience with ball heads, but the weight of lens puts significant torque on the ball, i'm not sure I would expect to be able to move the camera side to side when the ball joint is tight enough to hold weight of the lens.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
Thanks for the encouragement. Tripod shipped today, I’ll let you know how it looks when I get it. According to my web searches, it has both a reversible center column and spiked feet.

Speaking of travel tripods, along with a few garbage tripods, my current tripod is a Dolica aluminum travel model that folds down to 12.5” and weighs in at 2.5 lbs. I’m not unhappy with it, although it it’s kind of fiddly to unfold. I’m hoping that the fotopro will make a good larger and sturdier companion to the Dolica.

I also replaced the Dolica head with a $20 ball head from Colorado Tripod Company, mainly to get Arca-Swiss compatibility. It seems like a pretty nice head for $20, although it has a strangely useless bubble level.
I have a Dolica travel model and replaced the ballhead with the Colorado.
There can't be too many of us. ( :

Hi Steve16823. What I mean is that the friction when moving on one plane (let's say "front-back") is a lot less than the friction on the other plane ("side-to-side"). When I tightened the control to make the front-back friction sufficient so the lens doesn't "drop", side-to-side movement became so tight that it was hard to move smoothly, and when it did it was abrupt. It sounds like you don't have that problem with Colorado so I may try one :)
My reasoning when I bought one was it's affordable and from a company that makes decent mid/high end end gear.
Well worth the $ if you ask me.

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Hmmm... i'm not sure i ever use the ball head in that fashion. It's either loose, and i'm supporting the camera with my hands, or it's tight.
I usually like to have a little friction so when it's "loose" it's not totally loose--I still like a little resistance. I think generally that's a problem with single-lever

It arrived this afternoon! I’m impressed. I mean, there’s not much to say, it’s a tripod!

I think it’s a great companion to my Dolica Travel Tripod. Seems somewhat higher quality, and it’s larger and probably more stable and less prone to vibration. But still very light.

I tightened the ball head just enough to support camera and lens. Even with compression on the ball, it moved very smoothly, better than I would have guessed.

I am very happy with my $140 impulse buy.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom