Fotodox or "Rainbowimaging" adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by atrac7, Jan 20, 2011.

1. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    Hello, I currently own a Lumix G2 and have some Nikkor glass I'd like to use, so thus am looking for a proper adapter.

Question is, which "brand" is better? Fotodox or Rainbow Imaging? On Amazon the Fotodox is 35 bucks, whereas the Rainbow imaging is $30. Also, the Fotodox apparently has its list price at 199.99, which I'm sure is an inflated number.

Does anyone have any pointers regarding this topic? Thank you,

Fotodox

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Pro adapter, Nikon Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-P2, E-P1, E-PL2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, GH2, GF1, GH1 G10: Camera & Photo

Rainbow Imaging

http://www.amazon.com/RAINBOWIMAGIN...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295576863&sr=1-2

edited link

2. The picture of the Fotodiox looks identical to the adapters you can get on eBay for less than $US20. It certainly has the same el cheapo bayonet tab springs as discussed here.

Your Rainbowimaging link is the same as the Fotodiox.

3. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

Thank you for the ebay note...i have edited the link in original post.

The rainbow imaging one has better reviews, but I believe the negative reviews of the fotodox is due to error on behalf of buyers.

I noticed you used the word "cheapo"...do you suggest I go a different route to maximize results with the nikon glass?

4. If you look behind the bayonet tabs on your m4/3 camera body's lens mount you'll see what a proper spring-loaded mount should look like. To get lens adapters with the same arrangement you need to spend big money for adapter brands like Voigtlander. All adapters in the low to middle price range use the cheaper, less effective style of spring loading as disussed in the link from my previous psot. They generally work OK but can be too loose or even sometimes too tight, which can require a screwdriver or pliers solution.

5. I love some of the reviews of the Fotodiox adapters re: how to release the Nikon lens from the adapter.

1. No instructions
    2. No directions such as open/close <==>, which interestingly exists in their Canon EOS and FD adapters. Seems like they forgot the labels for the Nikon adapter
    3. Be very careful if you've mounted your most expensive nikkor lenses for tests with a micro four thirds system. Be patient and you can get it removed from the mount. If you're impatient with this, you may end up screwing both the micro four thirds camera as well as your lens.

I bet these guys check the serving suggestions on the packs of peanuts you get on airlines e.g.
    1) Open packet
    2) Eat nuts.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a wide range of adapters made by different manufacturers. The things that differentiate the good (or expensive) from the bad (or inexpensive) are the:
    • locking mechanism - as already mentioned, the very best work well and the cheap ones can be very poor in operation (I've found good and bad with the spring type lever).
    • lens-side fitting - as mentioned in another post, the very best have proper springs to hold the lens, the cheap ones have none.
    • camera-side flange - the very best use chrome plated brass and the cheap ones are just milled from the the same piece of alloy.
    • baffling - which in the very best are properly baffled and in the worst are just anodised holes with no effort given to light attenuation.
    The Voigtlander and Novoflex are the best around and then it's a downward spiral, or hit and miss is some cases. I have a Kindon Nikon to Leica M mount adapter and it's very good, not that far behind my Voigtlander. Then I've got some Minolta and Pentax adapters (the supplier I can't remember), which aren't all that great. They all work, so at worst you'll just end up with a cheap one that just has niggly issues.

Cheers

Ray

7. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    Lucky penguin and OZRAY thank you both for your input...given your guys' input, I feel compelled I suppose to pick up a more expensive adapter, although I was excited for awhile that I only had to shell out 30 bucks to use my Nikon lenses :(...I will wait a bit to buy as I just got the G2 and it has put somewhat of a dent in my budget...

8. Ray (or anyone else),

Do you find that there is any middle ground with adapters? From looking at the ones available it doesn't appear that a $50 adapter is constructed any better than a $15-20 adapter, and they often appear to be the exact same item. The only ones which actually look significantly better are the Olympus MF-1, Voigtlanders, etc.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    No problems, but don't fall into the trap of buying an expensive Chinese adapter vs a cheap Chinese adapter, there usually isn't much difference, if any, other than the seller trying to gouge you. It's hit or miss, so if you plan to go Chinese, look for cheap in the first instance and then consider your options once you've figured out whether you're happy or not.

Cheers

Ray

10. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    I've seen and used 4 or 5 versions ( Leica screw, Pentax screw, Leica bayonet, Nikon bayonet) of the rainbowimaging adapters. All of them have performed well, I haven't noticed any issues at all. I have not seen any of the high end adapters so I have no basis for comparison. YMMV

John

11. jedanie3

jedanie3 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 3, 2010
    Clearwater, FL
    I'm with John, I have a Rainbow imaging adapter for my Konica Glass and even with the huge 200mm it is still nice and firm, has no problem attaching or removing.

12. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I have all Fotodiox adapters with zero issues so I have no idea if the expensive ones are really any better. My one beef is the FD/FL adapters are a pain to swap out, so I just bought one for each lens. The M42 , C Mount and Minolta MD adapters are super easy to swap.

BK

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm with John and jedanie3. I have four Rainbow Imaging adapters, for Minolta, M42, Contax/Yashika and Konica Hexanon. All work flawlessly. They all are aluminum + chrome-plated brass, and seat tightly. All allow infinity focus (and beyond, which is an issue I believe with all adapters, but I don't know for sure).

I really question whether it's worth spending more than about $25 on an adapter, unless you're trying to mount a very large, heavy lens with it (and even then). Maybe I'm just naive, but it SHOULDN'T cost that much, should it? I mean a Panasonic DMW-MA1 costs about $100 and has electrical contacts that have to line up and work--the legacy adapters are just fancy tubes with mounts on each side.

14. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm in the Fotodiox group. I have two for my Zeiss lenses and one for Canon FD lenses. I change lenses frequently and haven't had any difficulties mounting or dismounting lenses. One thing I have noticed, is that the adapter for the Zeiss lenses will allow the lens to focus slightly past infinity. When mounted on the Contax body, the focusing ring stops at infinity with the image in focus. When mounted on the Fotodiox adapter, the focusing ring will continue to turn a little past the point where the image is in focus. Not a big thing, just something I had to get used to. Overall, I have no complaints with them.

15. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    Hey all,

After a lot of consideration, I decided that I would hold off on the Voigt/Novo to save $$. It seems like it's easy to look down on the rainbow/fotodox AFTER trying premium pieces such as the pricier ones. Hopefully I won't run into problems with the Rainbow imaging one I ordered. I had a gift card for Amazon so it ended up being about 6 bucks. I'm willing to take a gamble on that :D

Will be back to report results

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've been using a Fotodiox m4/3 adapter for my Zeiss C/Y lenses and for mid $20, it has worked just fine. I also have a $180 Voigtlander FD to m4/3 adaptor which is nice quality for sure, but I'm not so sure that spending the extra money is needed. The Fotodiox adaptors ship fast from the USA. The sell from their USA website, but you can get a lower price ordering through Amazon. I'd suggest starting out with a Fotodiox from Amazon and see how it goes... You'll probably be quite satisfied and stop at that.

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon FD, New FD, FL Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, for Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-P2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, GH2, GF1, GH1 G10: Electronics

17. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    I bought two adapters from fotodiox (an FD and a C-mount). They do focus to infinity, and then a bit past which is slightly annoying. If I take the time and dial in the focus and mark a new inf. point on my lens that should take care of that. But the important thing is it works to the point I can focus on anything the lens is capable of.

Second, my FD lenses are not high grade (one 50mm 1.8 kit lens and some third party adapted lenses). I could spend $179 on a 'better' adapter but I have no reason to believe it will enhance my optical image quality. Best it could do is make inf. on the focus ring not need adjusting. If I owned any 'money making' lenses I may have shelled out the cash for the expensive adapter instead.

Third, my E-PL1 has springs on the camera side of the mount. My Canon AE-1 does not. So, my Fotodiox should not because all my lenses came off that canon. And when it mounts, it is solid. It may not be rock solid, but i hear and feel no play in the adapter when I use it.

And, on the subject of the open/close mechanism and mounting the lens, it's pretty easy. Look on the back of your lens for the mechanism that opens and shuts your aperture, and figure out how it moves. Do the same thing with the adapter. One thing moves the other thing to shut the aperture thing. After that it should take you about ten seconds to connect the two. Like a lot of camera accessories, if you are using excessive force to attach something you're probably doing it wrong.

$27 spent (amazon, free shiping), 5 old primes now useful to me again. I'm happy.