Fotodiox focal reducers - $60

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Mar 15, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

EDIT: judging from links posted in reply below, I would probably not recommend this. Sorry for passing it on.

Fotodiox has a lot of their focal reducers on clearance for $60. They were $160 (And still are on amazon)

Link: Search results for: 'excell'

In MFT mount they appear to have Nikon, FD, OM and C/Y available.

Note that they are listing these as no-returns due to the discount.

Also available on ebay if you prefer shopping there: fotodiox excell MFT | eBay
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For what it's worth, I don't know about the "Excell" version, but Fotodiox's previous focal reducers like the Vizelex Light Cannon were rebranded as "soft focus" adapters because they were so poor optically.

It looks like even the Excell versions are poorer optically than the $90 Chinese unbranded / RJ focal reducers that have been floating around for a few years now. I have one, and it works okay. Not Speedbooster quality, but I've never seen results as bad as some of the Fotodiox crops in the discussion below.

Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX - Personal View Talks
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will freely admit that I know nothing about them, they just are the cheapest Focal Reducers I have seen.

Thanks for the link, I actually had put a couple in my cart and was thinking about it. But if you have to stop your focal reducer down to use it, then what's the point!?
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well, if you want to reduce your focal length, of course! ;)

My 50/1.4 is as good when used as a 35/1.4 as it is at 50mm, but tends to get exceptionally glowy at 35/f1.0.

Honestly, in my experience, the focal reducer lives on one of my two legacy zooms, either a ($25) Tokina 28-70/f2.8-4.3, or a ($60) Canon 50-135/f3.5. I get a 20-50mm/f2.0-3.0 and a 35-100/f2.5. In both cases, they actually improve the resolution of the lenses as well as making them more versatile on an M4/3 camera. The results are better than they have any right to be, I'd say. I haven't had nearly the same success when trying to speed up lenses that are already ultra-fast, as tempting as the idea is.
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    These Fotodiox were hyped up on release to sell them, however they offered full refunds without return of the product as soon as people started receiving them...

I'm surprised that they still try to sell them given how bad they are.