1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fotodiox adapter question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by curveshooter, Nov 30, 2012.

1. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm new to photography in general and m4/3 in particular, so pardon the newbish questions.

I picked up a used Fotodiox lens mount adapter. The adapter has "NiK(F)G-m4/3".

Which Nikon lenses will this adapt? And what are the implications in terms of autofocus or controlling the aperture from the camera body?

Thanks!

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Basically any Nikon F mount lens that has an aperture ring will work just fine.

You won't have autofocus. And you'll only be able to change the aperture via the aperture ring. You'll want to shoot in either manual mode or aperture priority.

3. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Great, thank you.

What is the meaning of the 'G' designation?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Nikon G lenses do not incorporate an aperture ring. The G adapter provides one, but it is clickless and unmarked.

5. curveshooter

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    The adapter I have looks like this:

41zV0UBP2KL.

Except the labeling is slightly different - mine has 'NiK(F)G-m4/3' written on it. The only ring on it is labeled 'Lock<---->Open'. So I take it this ring also controls aperture?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, this adapter will take all Nikon F mount lenses. Some of these lenses will have their own aperture ring, which can be used, while the G lenses don't have an aperture ring, but you can use the adapter's unmarked ring. That about right?

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    That's right. Any F mount lens. Those that don't have an aperture ring can be controlled by the ring on the adapter.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yeah, and do note that the aperture control is purely mechanical - turn only to close/open the aperture. Some of these adapters do have a mild set of marks through the ring turn that may approximate full stops (I have found that to be the case with 2 Pentax ones I have used), but that may or may not be the case for other brand/adapters/mount types.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also, make sure the aperture ring (on the adapter) is in the correct position when changing lenses or the little tab might be on the wrong side of the adapter pin.

Closed (lock?) I think is the one.