1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fotga Macro Extension Tubes

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MadMarco, Jan 8, 2015.

1. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Hi All,

Not sure where to post this, I thought that adapted lenses seemed appropriate.

Here are my first impressions of the Fotga macro extension tubes I've just take receipt of. Below is an image of the 10mm and 16mm tubes stacked together; I've tried them with my 12-40mm and 17mm lenses and found that the 16mm tube works with the 12-40 and the 10mm tube works with the 17.

The quality of the tubes is "OK" not stunning, but for £22.66 from Amazon it's not bad. The camera side mount is metal, the body is very plastic and the lens side mount is plastic. Overall they feel sturdy enough. The quality of the electrical contacts seems to be OK and I can confirm that AF works with the extension tube between the camera and the lens.

12-40 Lens - 16mm Tube
    Although the 12-40 lens does work with the 16mm tube, in reality there isn't much point to it. The 12-40 allows you to get quite close to the subject without the tubes and to get focus with the tube, the subject is practically touching the front of the lens. It's probably no more than 5-10mm away (you can see the shadow of the lens). This makes it very difficult to use and risks scratching the glass. I'd pass on this.

17mm Lens - 10mm Tube
    This is a much better result. The 17mm lens isn't very good at close-up in native mode; but the 10mm tube makes a world of difference, you can get much closer. The picture below was taken at a distance of about 10-15cm so it's a lot more manageable than the 12-40 and I'm quite pleased with the result from this.

Below are examples of closest focus for both native and adapted for comparison, the subject is an old sixpence (measures 19mm diameter) that I dug out the garden one summer. DoF is like a razer at f1.8 so I shot all the photos at f5 to make focusing a bit easier. ISO is between 2000 and 3200 due to poor lighting.

P1081059_DxO1.

12-40 lens in native configuration f5
    Oly12-40_Native_40mm_DxO1.

12-40 lens with 16mm tube f5
    Oly12-40_16mmExt_40mm_DxO1.

17mm lens in native configuration f5
    Oly17mm_Native_DxO1.

17mm lens with 10mm tube f5
    Oly17mm_10mmExt_DxO1.

Let me know what you think!

• Like Like x 4
  2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Does the autofocus and aperture of the lenses work through those connectors? If so, how well does the autofocus work?

3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

It's been quite a while since I saw a 'tanner'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I have these extension rings and use them to good effect on my E-M10 with the 45mm lens in particular...I often stack the rings and they work fine.

The camera & lens work exactly the same with the extension rings as without them....for the money, a no-brainer IMO.

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Just ordered a set of these myself today, plan on using them with my 100-300 just to get that little bit closer for butterfly's etc.

Paul

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been using these for a month or so now and they work fine with my 4/3 lenses on my E-M1.

7. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    AF works fine; it hunts perhaps a little more than normal, but there really isn't much in it.

8. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I also found a farthing on the same 'expedition'.

9. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    Thanks for your post. I've got very similar macro rings (I think all plastic though?) and different name on them. I find they work well on the 45-200mm and on an adapted Hexanon 40mm on a G3.

Depth of field is very narrow, so have to stop down a lot. And working distance is very small. It's often easier to move the camera to focus than it is to move the focus ring or autofocus.

10. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I've noticed this as well; keeping focus peeking switched on all the time would be handy, is this possible?

All my lenses are native m43 so the touch focus on the screen works really nicely and I'm rarely using the viewfinder for macro photography because of the unusual positions you often end up in.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Whenever I do macro, I always change to manual focus and move the camera to focus. This is how it's been done for decades and why focussing rails were invented for macro and micro photography.

12. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    Sorry, I don't know. The G3 doesn't have focus peaking at all.

13. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
    Both works well on my E-M10; however, I prefer manual focus in Aperture mode (changing it to suit me) with peaking on while handholding.

14. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
  15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I too have the all plastic variant.
    Mine work well individually but not when stacked together - this introduces a degree of wobble.
    Problems with shallow DOF & the lens casting a shadow are standard issues in macro & not really anything to do with the tubes.
    Whilst 5mm working distance is rather limiting there can still be times (with back lit subjects for example) that this can work OK and the extra magnification could be a benefit :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    I acquired the same set for about $20 and although I haven't had a chance to play with the rings too much, they seem pretty decent. Every functionality of a mounted lens is preserved with these. I was particularly worried about build quality, but on my copy both mounts and bayonets are metal, unlike some original Olympus lenses. Inside of rings is not smooth, but machined to avoid reflections. There is a bit wobble when both rings are attached, but it's not really an issue when taking photos. My only concern are the mount screws that are too deep and necessitate pressing lens release button when mounting, but that's just a slight discomfort.

17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I found them to be excellent value.
    Useless on the 12-40 but.....they work wonders with my Oly 75-300mm, macro at a distance.
    Although a tripod or monopod is essential, I use a m'pod.
    Fantastic value.....Amazon.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  18. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Wonder if these will work with the 40-150 pro.

19. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    No reason the laws of Optics should be different with that lens. :)
    The weight of the lens might make it a little awkward to handle especially on cheaper tubes, but they will certainly work.

• Like Like x 1