1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fotga M42 mount adapter vs other brands

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gnarlydog australia, Oct 25, 2015.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have several M42 mount vintage lenses and I bought on eBay several different brands of adapters to be able to use them on my Olympus cameras.
    I like the "two-tone" adapters (the body is black, the mounting ring is silver) where I can align the position of the lens once screwed onto the adapter to match the camera.

22489339781_4d5f5bd38f_b.

There are 3 small grub screws that allow the rotation of the silver ring and then can be secured into position once the desired alignment is achieved.
    Recently I also ordered a Fotga brand adapter and found that is too short.
    When measured against my other two brands of M42 adapters it is 1mm shorter.

22290665718_d6beb75cf6.

22489367891_f8f47405af.
    Fotga on the left, other brand on the right

I am not too impressed with this as it puts the infinity focus on the vintage lens nowhere near the markings on the lens.
    On the other two adapters I can be pretty close to infinity to what the marking says on the lens.
    I usually achieve infinity just a bit back from fully retracted and I believe that is perfect, since some M42 lenses are not exactly "true" to their markings.
    With the Fotga adapter tho I have to back off my focusing a long way; on a particular lens I read 3m instead of infinity. That is approximately 60 degrees turn of the barrel to get there.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I think my M42 adapter is a Fotasy, but I did get a Fotga MD adapter recently; it focuses past infinity but not much.

Maybe you should return this one.

Barry

3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I have a fotga and fotasy adapters and neither are any good. The kipon were the best of the bunch. Much more expensive but they work.

4. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Out of curiosity, does the Kipon register infinity where it should, or at least close enough? on a M42 lens, that is.
    My cheapo Exa mount adapter for other vintage lenses is pretty close but not totally on the money, but I can live with that.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My fotga lens adapter goes way past infinity. Made shooting the moon with a longer prime a bit of an impossibility.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a few m42 adapters however since the only lenses I have in m42 are bellows macro lenses so I've never measured the adapters to make sure they're actually correct :D

I know due to testing that only lenses over 90mm can reach infinity, shorter focal lengths are stuck with macro distances.

7. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Gnarlydog,

I've purchased 2 different M42 adapters:
    One is very similar to the one on your first picture. It is this one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M42-42mm-...552295?hash=item1a032edbe7:g:MUwAAOSwgQ9VrMne

And the other is a Fotga.
    After reading your post, I've measured the two adapters and they are exactly the same.
    You must have a different (defective?) series... or both my two adapters are also 1mm shorter than it should.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't get it...I've always focussed on the moon when shooting to make sure it's in critical focus rather than relying on an infinity registration mark. I'm assuming that just because your lens focussed past infinity doesn't mean that it only focussed past infinity, did it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Probably I do have a Fotga that is out of spec, but my friend recently purchased a Fotga PK (Pentax K mount, which has same register as M42) and also comes 1mm short.
    His infinity is out, by a lot.
    The Chinese vendor on eBay refunded my money after I made them aware of the problem and documented the discrepancy.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Is there any chance to post the measure of the correct adapter?
    If my two adapters are equal to each other, maybe I've got 2 wrong adapters, or Fotga may have correct the earlier lots.

11. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    in a perfect world the adapter should measure 26.21mm (M42 register of 45.46 versus 19.25 of Micro Four Thirds)
    But since lenses are not as precisely made as watches there is some tolerance to take care of so ideally an adapter a little bit shorter is probably good.
    My "good" adapter measures at 26.1mm circa (you know, basic manual caliper)

My Fotga is exactly 1mm too short, and that is a lot of focus adjustment on the barrel of 50mm lens in my case.
    22290665858_429857bc54.
    caliper reads 25.2ish

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I don't know much about the M42 mount but I do have a Helios 44-2 with an M42 adapter.

I dislike the goofy width change in the center, as the screw mount is much narrower than the back of the lens as well as the adapter. Moreover, I suspect the original M42 mount has an outer rim protruding past the screw mount to sit flush against the back of the lens body. To wit, my Helios wobbles when mounted, and my understanding is that on a native M42 camera it would press up against something when mounted, preventing the wobble.

Are there any M42 -> M43 adapters that fit like this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    That is one thing that really bothers me too: the bottle-neck look on the Helios-44 rear of the lens.
    I was hoping the version in M39 would be different, but it is not.
    I believe that is how the Helios-44 looks and I don't think an adapter exists to "hide" the recessed barrel.
    Then again nothing should stop one from modifying an adapter and make it extend past the M42 thread interface and hide the recess.
    Hmmm, you got me thinking... a bit of PVC, some spray paint and I am sure I can make come up with something... not sure if it will "better" tho
    If it comes close to my DIY Exa mount adapter, I would be OK with that

• Like Like x 1
  14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank you for your time measuring and posting!
    When I got home I will check my adapters.

There's one thing I've noticed on the Fotga adapter: it does not allow to retract the pin on some lenses (Like Fuji and others).
    My other brand adapter have a second shorter interior ring that make the rear pin on some lens to rest retracted so the iris blades can close.

15. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Same here: the Fotga does not have the "shelf" to hit the pin and push it back to allow iris control (on lenses that need that)
    It is not a problem on the lenses that have the "M" and "A" switch/tab on the barrel (my Takumars for example): I just switch to M (for manual) and I can open/close the aperture.
    However on lenses that are "auto" the pin needs to be pressed in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    What lenses?
    That is an argument that I see too many times but I don't accept.
    It's an excuse to sell you badly made adapters and you don't claim your money back.
    I have been using Canon manual focus cameras (FD mount) for more than 25 years and during this period I have had way too many lenses, some bought brand new, some used but mint, some really beatened up.
    I have never ever had a lens that didn't focus infinity exactly at the infinity stop of the lens.
    Probably I have been lucky, but there.
    I don't have experience with the M42 mount, though.
    But my Pixco FD to m4/3 adapter was about 0.25mm short (and probably the Pixcos are consistently all 0.25mm short, not a question of lousy tolerances), which I corrected with 3 layers of aluminium foil just under the bayonet mount, which is fixed by 3 screws.
    Unfortunately, the Pixco adapter is no good, it mounts too loose on the camera body and has some little play.
    Adapters are all crap, most made in the far east by those who want to make some money but don't know anything about photography.

There is probably just one brand of adapters that are well made, painted inside with anti-reflective black and spot on at infinity.
    Made in Germany by Novoflex, and... expensive. :speechless:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  17. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Several of my Olympus OM lens with floating lens elements for close focus correction can focus past infinity. (this is on film bodies, not digital)
    The most startling is one of my 50mm f3.5 macros because there's almost 2mm from the infinity stop to where infinity actually is on my 'good' copy (last edition, NMC coating). My copy of the 85mm also has the same behavior. None of the unit focusing designs have this behavior which is why I believe it's something to do with the floating element design.

18. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I agree: cheap, good... pick one. :hmmm:
    Then again I don't think that some Russian made lenses in M42 mount are comparable to Canon, in tolerances/precision, or am I wrong?
    0.25mm out on the adapter thickness is acceptable in my book, 4 times as much is not :(

Stand-by: I am working on yet another DIY adapter, this one is for a PEN-F.

19. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Well, some old russian lenses had an infinity focus adjustment, yeah.
    Industar comes to mind.

That is indeed way out.
    I can tell you that those 0.25mm short on my FD adapter was enough to give quite a big error with wide angle lenses (24mm and 28mm).
    I mean, at 3 meters from the subject, the lens focused at the 2 meter mark? Infinity before the 3 meter mark?
    The minimum focusing distance of those lenses was of course also largely affected.
    I can't live with that.

20. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    The thing is, you should be able to use that lens as you did with an Olympus film camera.
    You don't want a focusing error of several meters, because of a bad adapter. (!)