fotga extension tubes for m43

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by yehuda, Apr 20, 2013.

1. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi.

Just saw on eBay these extension tubes with electronic coupling made for m43. They sell for 54$.

Anyone here use this specific model?
    If so - please let me know what setup you used it with and how it works in real life.

Attaching images will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Could you attach a link to the item?

3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I think these and the skyblue ones (which I just ordered, will test them out and post a thread when they arrive) are relatively new on the market, so it's unlikely that anyone on here will have them. I base this purely on the fact that previously when I looked for extension tubes, all I could find were the kenko ones.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Does the oly 45 work well as a macro with functional tubes?

5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I imagine I'll receive the tubes at some point in the week, and I'll be able to tell you.

6. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Googling this shows that this product is essentially the same as the kenko extension tubes for m43.

I found some things regarding using the kenko with the oly 45 f1.8.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21069

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41732115

But, as always, ymmv.

I'd really like to test it for myself but as another forum member has bought one I'll wait for his wise words.

Please post before/after shots of the 45 with the 10mm at the furthest distance still focusable.
    Having tried reverse mounting etc. I want reasonable macro without shoving the lens 5cm from the insect to attain that holy 1:1 ratio.

If it's in the 12-50 'macro' territory I'm fine with it - due to lens overlap I want to sell the 12-50 but the relatively good macro capability is stopping me :)

7. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Those one on ebay look exactly same as the Kenko one.

Here are some shoots I took with the OMD and the Kenko tubes stacked on Oly 45mm f1.8.
    decay-1.
    kenko_tube-1.
    fly-2.
    kenko_tube-4.
    kenko_tube-15.

8. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Nice shots!

Were they all taken with both tubes stacked?

How close do you have to be for such magnification?

9. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    1 & 3 were taken with both tubes stacked. The others I could not recall. I was only 5-8cm away from the objects.

10. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Extension tubes sometimes limit the focus range severely.
    I once used af extension tubes on a Nikon dslr and the focus range for the lens I used became almost useless; from having the object almost touching the tip of the lens to a few centimeters away.
    Is this what you experienced with the kenko+45 1.8?

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    That's what they're meant to do. They bring the minimum focus point closer, but also do the same with the maximum. So it is usually impossible to achieve infinity focus with an extension tube attached.

12. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I shot this with a 300mm f4 and extension tubes. I had to be about 5 ft. away.

13. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I know. What I meant to know was just HOW limited this combo restricts the focus distance.

i.e. do the tubes+45 1.8 move me towards the 50mm-500mm focus distance realm or to the 20mm-100mm range.

Hope this is more clear.

14. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia

Yes, With the 45mm f1.8, you have to be within the focus range to be able to focus. I am not sure about the exact range (but approximately 4-10cm). The same applied to the Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 and it virtually touching the object and it is near impossible to work with. Imagine you are getting that close to a bee or a poisoned spider ;)

For me, It is working well with the Panasonic 100-300mm. You will be about a meter away from the object and can use the zoom to get into that 'focus range'

Sorry about the 'non-technical' explanation but I am just a hobbyist and self taught and just start to play around with macro.

15. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Received the tubes today, AF works with all my lenses, even with both stacked on the 45mm. This is a bit besides the point though, as you're mostly focusing by moving the camera back and forth, as the focus range is so narrow. They're very plasticy and light, bit disconcerting to be honest. There is a bit of wobble between the camera and the tubes when mounted too. Will do a proper test when I have time, which probably means the weekend?

*edit*

Should clarify, these are the cheap no-name ones I got off ebay, not the more expensive Kenko tubes.

16. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    thelaxong -- love that first image
    Excellent

17. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    The effect of extension will depend on the actual focal length of the lens being used. If your extension is bringing focus too close either use a shorter extension or increase the focal length,

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've just ordered these to give them a try with the 45, 40-150, even with the OM-m4/3 adapter and the F.Zuiko 300 f4.5. For 50 bucks it seemed worth a try. I want the 60mm macro at some point, but the old 50mm f3.5 film macro is doing OK in the interim. But the 40-150 with extension tubes would let me get further back from skittish bugs.