Fotga Extension tubes + 60mm Macro, my impression.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    First up, they are very inexpensive, being just £22 here in the UK, of excellent quality for the £'s IMVHO.
    They are plastic with aluminium flanges, all electrical contacts worked as they should and the tubes were easy to put on and take off, they felt positive, not loose or tight.

Packaging was a bit rough.

The 60mm was the only lens I tried them on, results below.
    All results are approximate.

Lens Max Magnification Working distance, end of lens to subject.
    60mm 1:1 80mm
    60mm + 26mm Tubes 1.6:1 67mm
    60mm + DC "on" 1.9:1 85mm

However when used with the E-M1's Digital Teleconverter turned "on"...... the 60mm Macro, on its own without tubes, will give a maximum magnification of approx 1.9:1 with a working distance of approx 85mm.....and what's more image quality was excellent.

My conclusion therefore is, I shall be returning them.

EDIT. My opinion re Digital Teleconverter/extension tubes has reversed in favour of the tubes.
    The tubes were returned, but have been re-ordered.

Fotga Tubes
    by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Fotga 2
    by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    How would this work on e.g. the 12-50? or 40-150?? Or even the 20? Would it make a difference? Never used extension tubes before but would like to play. That's a good price for fully electronic tubes (AUD 41 shipped to Oz).
  3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK

The point of tubes is to reduce the minimum focusing distance, nothing more, nothing less.

If you take the shot with the tubes on and scale either with the Digital Teleconverter or in photoshop you will get similar results.

Digital Teleconverter is merely digitally zooming, there's no extra resolution.
  4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a set of extension tubes, and of all my lenses, I found they work best with my Oly 45 1.8.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Tried that also, an old post of mine.... be of interest.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I use a set of these tubes with my 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R and get nice and close with good working distance at 150mm. I find working distance at close to macro magnifications a problem with shorter focal lengths.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I agree with your comments about these tubes other than the fact that I am keeping mine. Mine came in a box that was in a lot worse condition than yours but they weren't damaged. You can't expect high quality at these prices but they work reliably with my setup.
  8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Not sure why the OP would prefer the digital converter version over the full resolution image affered using tubes, could be a lack of technique gives the impression the digital converter option gave better results, but if done correctly the tubes should give a higher quality image over the digital converter option.

Magnification is not the be all and end all of the subject, if it was then the 60mm set to 1-1 with both tubes fitted and then the digital converter activated would be even better, but it won't be will it.