Fotasy fd to mu43 adapter doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bcphoto, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Indiana
    Bruce Conner
    Greetings to all,

I purchased a Fotasy FD to Mu43 adapter from Ebay and on my 28mm FD lens focused at infinity the distance reading is 1 meter. I checked my 55mm FL focused at 20 feet and the scale said 6 feet.

Then I thought that maybe it was just the paint on the lugs so I used 1500 grit and took that off and the same thing. I took a bit of metal off next and the distance scale was off by more so I can only conclude that the adapter wasn't deep enough to start with.

Can anyone suggest a proper adapter other than the expensive Novoflex? I have many other adapters for Nikon, Canon, Olympus and m42 screw and they are fine. This is the first bad one I've come across. Maybe I should use Adorama?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I am looking at getting this one -> ciecio7. Everyone I have read that has got it says its really good.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've got the same Fotasy FD adapter. When I use it with a Sears 135mm lens, I get infinity at an indicated 15 meters. That suggests that the near focus limit would be compromised, but the lowest number is an indicated 1.5m and I can get that. My FD 85mm will indicate approximately 8 m when focused at infinity, but it appears accurate at the closest indicated focus distance of .9 metere.

While this rules out setting focus by use of the distance scales, as long as the lens can still operate between infinity and its shortest focus distance, the adapter works for me. Now if these lenses actually focused closer on film cameras than the lowest number marked on the barrel, I guess I am losing functionality.

By the way, my Fotasy adapter is one piece, meaning no user hacking possible. However, I also have another FD adapter that has no MFG label, I got it from a seller called Bond on ebay. That one has the breech mount on a separate plate that can be shimmed. I did that, using aluminum duct tape under the plate to make the adapter thicker.

4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    All of the Canon FD adapters focus past infinity to ensure that you can focus to infinity.

I've had great luck with:
    this one. There's a UK tax that gets deducted for worldwide buyers reducing the price.

5. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Indiana
    Bruce Conner
    Thanks to all for the info.

As I said mine says 1 meter at infinity focus. If the adapter had the right register it would be no different than the lens being mounted on the correct camera.

I can see that having infinity in focus with the lens racked out could change some of the corrections designed into the lens. The lens is using 1 meter design characteristics to focus at infinity.

If a company goes to the trouble of machining an adapter -- why not make it the right thickness to start with? I've ordered another adapter that is more expensive and the other adapter will be sent back and replaced.

BC