1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fosterfields Living Historical Farm with the EP3

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NaturalWoman, Sep 17, 2011.

1. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntrlwmn/6156916858/" title="Fosterfields Living Historical Farm by ValerieMorrisonPhotography.com, on Flickr"> 6156916858_c752309dbd_z. "640" height="480" alt="Fosterfields Living Historical Farm"></a>

Took my EP3 out on its first real outing. I must say little thought went into this photo, I turned, snapped and kept going (visited a farm today).

After I got home I realized it didn't look too bad, so I made a fake HDR image (one image) of it (I do have the RAW file).

My question is the sky is ugly, is there anything I can do to fix it in Photoshop or LR that won't take forever. I am not good at PP but sometimes it's necessary. Are there any quick fixes anyone can think of to make the sky look better, if not then what's another suggestion for the sky. Thanks.

Sorry, this might be the wrong board. I see there is one more appropriate for my real question.

• Like Like x 2
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Dig the reds on the barns.

3. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    You should be able to colorize the sky using Photoshop. There are plenty of tutorials on the web for doing so. The hardest bit is going to be making the selection mask around the tree, although the Edge Mask filter is probably your best bet.

4. NaturalWoman

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    thanks!

5. NaturalWoman

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    colorize the sky, okay i'll use that as a search term to find something as well as the edge mask filter (don't know what that is).

at least these are terms to point me in the right direction. i'll do some research. appreciate it.

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Valerie,

Not a lot you can do with such a sky without it looking artificial but I had a go in Elements 9.

6156916858_c752309dbd_z_edit.

I made a selection of the sky using the Magic Wand tool with a tolerance of 30 (make sure "Contiguous" is NOT selected, or it won't fill in the gaps between the branches).

I then selected Filters > Adjustments > Photo Filter > Cooling Filter 80 set at 25%. This is basically a blue-toned filter normally used for correcting a too warm colour balance. The density can be set at a higher or lower % to give a stronger or weaker effect.

Note that the Wand has selected other areas of similar tone within the picture, notably some of the windows in the barn. I've left it alone as it appears the window is reflecting the blue of the sky but it could easily be removed by selecting the Magic Wand, setting it to Contiguous this time, and going to Enhance > Adjust Color > Remove Color Cast then using the eye-dropper on the selection.

Not perfect but quick and easy, I hope this helps. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. NaturalWoman

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    thanks john. i will give this a try as well (and help from another forum member). i will see what i can do so it doesn't look fake.

8. NaturalWoman

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    here's what i came up with

farm_with_sky_II_reduced.

used a sky from one of my photos. i think it looks more realistic. thanks everyone who helped.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    How about some birds ...

10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Maybe a sunset. Or a rainbow. Yeah. A rainbow would be great.

Sorry. I'm a bad boy. :flypig: