1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Forum feature to hide broken image posts

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I am working on a solution to hide posts containing broken images. This is an issue, especially in our older threads, like many of those in the Showcase section. @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR mentioned it the other day.

The idea I had was that images containing broken images would automatically be hidden with a toggle saying something like "Post hidden due to broken image(s), click here to show".

The script would run on each page load, so if the images were fixed, the post would automatically cease to be hidden.

The implementation would be complicated, because not all "broken" images are the same. Some give a 404 error (image not found), while others redirect the image URL to a placeholder (Flickr does this). Meanwhile, not all image URLs that redirect are broken. Some hosts do this as part of their normal process for showing an image (eg, Smugmug). Making it user configurable so that members could opt out of broken image post hiding would add another layer of complexity and expense.

Useful or not worth the bother/expense? Any downsides you can think of besides a slight (hopefully unnoticeable) hit on performance?

I suppose there would occasionally be a really good post that is content rich yet gets hidden because of one broken image, but this to me seems a reasonable price to pay for getting rid of tons of broken posts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    There is always the chance that a large number of hidden messages becomes just as visually annoying as broken image placeholders, so I suggest going at it in stages. Do one or two of the easiest things and get further feedback as to its value. Hopefully it can be one of those 80/20 things where you can see 80% of the effect for 20% of the work.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I would think something like that would be complicated and may need lots of updates as browsers evolve.

If there is an off-the-shelf plugin that is maintained, try it.
    If it would be bespoke, istm it might be too expensive in the long run, including maintenance.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Do the easy and reliable pieces - 404 gets hidden, etc. Don't bother with the hard stuff; it's just not that important and will lead to endless tweaking and les-than satisfactory results.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I agree. Do the easy stuff but it's just not that hard to scroll past a post.

• Like Like x 1