Forthcoming SLR magic lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by robbie36, Jan 26, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Two new ultra fast lenses from SLR Magic are coming out next month - a 25/0.95 built especially for MFT and a 35/0.95 that fits Nex/Fuji/MFT.

Both sound quite promising.

The 25/0.95 might not sound too exciting because this is already covered by the excellent Voightlander. The SLR Magic is about the same size but is going to priced considerably cheaper at US$649 after rebate at launch. Perhaps most interesting is that an initial side by side comparison with the Voightlander seems to show that the SLR Magic is sharper wide open.

Beeldlab » Blog Archive » Voigtländer versus SLR Magic

The 35/0.95 is considerably larger and also priced higher at US$1300 at launch. It does appear to be very sharp wide open for such a fast lens.

Conquering The Darkness - SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 35mm T0.95 Comparison

• Like Like x 1
  2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Unfortunately, the "test" that all are talking about appears to have focused the readers on some lettering while the Voigtländer was focused on something completely different. I wouldn't say the SLR Magic isn't a better-performing lens (because there's no actual data to judge from), but I would for sure say that if you're interested in resolution tests then wait for someone to do them properly.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Actually I saw a different 'test' to the one featured on 43rumors.

https://twitter.com/EOSHD/status/292317593837109248/photo/1

Hardly scientific I would agree and you would think that he could have done better with the Voightlander (although that lens is pretty soft wide open). Assuming that shot is what it is, the SLR Magic does look pretty sharp wide open. But it is obviously too early to really tell.

BTW the 35 0.95 looks to be something of a non-starter for most in MFT. It is pictured 2nd from left next to the 25 0.95 (3rd) which is the same size as the Voightlander.

Sony FS700 slow mo goes low light with Speed Booster and the new SLR Magic T0.95 lenses | EOSHD.com

That makes it pretty huge and it weighs a pretty staggering 762g.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Some test card shots...

SLR Magic 25 0.95 (pre-production lens shot last May)

SLRMagic_095_50.

Voightlander 25 0.95

Voigtlander_095_50.

• Like Like x 1