1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fort Monroe Hampton Virginia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by LeeOsenton, Nov 22, 2012.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    The evil forces of the world have finally relented and I was able to spend an afternoon out with my new E-PL5. I ended up with the Olympus 9-18mm glued to my camera the entire day. The weather was great and there is so much to work with at Fort Monroe. This is only my third outing with a wide angle lens. I really like it, but I think I need a lot more practice with it. Your critiques are welcome.

Lee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice! I want to get a UWA lens - gives a different perspective. :cool:

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    All of the shots are looking great!

4. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Thanks for the kind comments. One rule that really applies to wide angle lenses: "If you think you are close enough, get closer!". Getting that close causes the slightest change in camera angle or position to completely alter the image. Buildings turn into pyramids and trees lean like old drunks. I have walked away from shots empty handed because I can't get it to "line up". It is very frustrating but equally enticing.

Lee

5. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Just curious, Lee. By "evil forces" are you referring to weather conditions or to a spousal unit?

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looking good Lee. It took me some time to get used to the 7mm focal length when I first bought the 7-14 but I seem ok with it now. If you have something too close to the edges you get comical curves, and It takes some skill in getting a good shot without making the viewer wonder why they've never seen these strange things before.

7. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Well said! Thanks

Lee

8. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Haha; business trip, illness, holiday, family, etc. Short answer: all possible sources seemed to be conspiring against me. Spousal unit is actually quite accommodating so I try hard to not take advantage of her.

Lee