Formulas for Picture Mode?

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
I’ve got an EM-5 that I find often shoots JPEGs too dark. Switching to “5-Portrait” in Picture Mode does a decent job of lightening things. Does anyone know what is being manipulated in the camera with these picture modes? I would like to understand better what is happening with each. Thanks.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Take the camera, put it on a tripod, aim the camera at something, set the mode to either S, A or P, press the OK button to go into Super Control Panel. Set the picture mode to #2 Vivid, tap the shutter button to exit the SCP. Push the shutter button half way so you can see the shutter speed and aperture the camera selected. Repeat for #3 Natural, #4 Muted and #5 Portrait. Portrait uses a lower shutter speed than Natural, so the picture will be brighter.

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks @b_rubenstein I tried that — with A mode. But the shutter speed does not seem to change between Natural, Portrait, Vivid etc. Once captured, the pictures do look noticeably different but the shutter speeds and apertures are identical. Other changes must be happening behind the scenes, no?

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Thanks @b_rubenstein I tried that — with A mode. But the shutter speed does not seem to change between Natural, Portrait, Vivid etc. Once captured, the pictures do look noticeably different but the shutter speeds and apertures are identical. Other changes must be happening behind the scenes, no?

Interesting question. With most of Olympus features, it helps to go back in history to when the feature was first introduced. That's where you find more information and the thought process behind most features.

Is your EM5 a new camera for you or do you have experience with the EM5? If new, it might help to do a full reset...

See this page from an older E500 camera - it does not list all variables at work, will be interesting to know what they are :)

E500-Page.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The default portrait picture profile lifts the shadows and blacks a bit - colour aside, all those picture profiles do is adjust the tone curve. You can easily tell what's going on if you enable the histogram live view with the camera on a tripod and toggle between the profiles to see what changes on the histogram.

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks @wjiang that makes sense. Is there any way to see or understand what the tone curve adjustment is for each picture mode?

@BushmanOrig I've had this EM-5 for a while but have really only started using it more seriously in the past six months or so. Are you suggesting a reset because you suspect the camera settings may be out of whack somehow?

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Thanks @wjiang that makes sense. Is there any way to see or understand what the tone curve adjustment is for each picture mode?

@BushmanOrig I've had this EM-5 for a while but have really only started using it more seriously in the past six months or so. Are you suggesting a reset because you suspect the camera settings may be out of whack somehow?

Yes, I did suspect it's out of wack... :) Much more efficient to start from zero up than working back trying to find the problem. Do a full reset, not a partial reset.
Best

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom