1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Former Nex user -> E-PL5 : My View

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cybertron, Dec 5, 2013.

1. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Hi Everyone!

This is my first post in this forum, although I have been hanging in the Nex forum for some time. However I have now changed from the Nex F3 to the E-PL5, why you might ask? That is what I should share with you.....

I was a very happy Nex user, although, I missed something, long Telezooms, this was something I was aware about when entering the Nex system, but thought that I could manage without the extra 100mm. I couldn't.
    So now, a year later I switched to the Panasonic G5 (wait a minute, didn't you just read E-PL5 ??, well coming to that...) and I couldn't get a single shot sharp (unless with flash, and I hate flash) I also had a problem with the menu system....

So sent it back and bought the E-PL5 for a great price (and a free 40-150 lens) ! This camera has nailed focus every time ! And it has a menu system I like, customizable!! just the way I need!

So, compared to Nex there are some differenses, some important some less important

*they are almost the same size (E-PL5 is a little smaller),
    *Nex got better screen,
    *image quality seems to be identical,
    *More lenses in mu43
    *Better lenses (in my paygrade) in mu43
    *IBIS
    *MUCH FASTER AF!

these are the reasons i switched, and so far, it is great! I will post photos later when I have taken anything interesting :D so far it is only "test" pictures!!

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thanks for the report.

Question, though: what do you think of the grip? I've had several smaller RF-style m43 cameras and the grip was crappy on all of them, especially compared to the NEX grips.

By the way, I'm sure the NEX forum would be up in arms to read that you consider IQ to be identical. After all, doesn't m43 employ a "tiny sensor" blah blah blah? To be honest, even though I own a NEX camera in addition to a m43 camera I rarely venture over to the NEX boards anymore because they're so delusional.

3. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013

The grip is ok, it is better on the nex f3 (because it is bigger) but the E-pl5 is ok, and it works almost better when having a bigger lens on to help support with the other hand. The only thing I figure they did wrong is the af assist lamp, my hand gets in the way of it (rendering it useless)

yeah, so far I can't tell any difference between the nex and the e-pl5 in terms of image quality / noise. Yeah, I am no ****** of either camp, I just use the camera! :D

it feels good though to be back to IBIS (had it on my pentax before going to the nex)

4. BaldEgo

BaldEgo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2013
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Thanks for your post. I am also a former NEX 6/7 user (and Pentax before that as well) and switched over to an OM-D E-M5 last summer. Your last two points are what nailed it for me -- IBIS and a great AF system for static images. The bonus was the incredible JPEGs that come right out of the camera with little need for PP work. In fact, with my Pentax and Sony systems, I always shot RAW + JPEG but lately with my OM-D, I've found myself just shooting JPEGs because I'm so confident--in most conditions--of the output. The other bonus was the high quality of the Olympus lenses, given their relatively low cost.

I do miss the NEX 6/7 grip, the built-in flash, the HDR mode, the Panorama mode, focus peaking, and some other features but IBIS and the AF system on the OM-D more than compensate for me.

The other major benefit is that I've amassed quite a few legacy lenses and having IBIS makes them really fun to shoot with -- more so than with the NEX which, of course, lacks in-body stabilization.

5. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013