Formatting your Memory card

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
This is one area that consistently the various professional photography sites/blogs agree on -- format every time in camera and not on the computer/card reader.

Blu-by-u

Mu-43 Regular
I format after downloading.

When I first started using digital photography, I use to chimp and delete shots that were not up to mark. In doing this I have corrupted the memory card on a few occasions. I have since just format in camera. I have also taken the habit not to delete anything that's on the memory card. Be it in camera deleting or on a card reader. I only delete them off the backups.

I have killed a xD memory chip when I deleted images when the card was mounted on a card reader. The Camera would not detect the card after that and it would not format it either but strangely, it can be read and formatted using a card reader. The chip was sent back for a warranty claim.

So now I format the memory chip in camera before use.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I format in camera after every download. Aside from opinions I haven't seen any concrete data to support the practice, I guess it just satisfies my OCD.

vintageslrs

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Folks

Since this is all new to me I must ask...how does one actually
format the card in the camera? Is it just a matter of finding a symbol
on the menu that means "format"? :redface:

thanks for indulging me :smile:
Bob

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Folks

Since this is all new to me I must ask...how does one actually
format the card in the camera? Is it just a matter of finding a symbol
on the menu that means "format"? :redface:

thanks for indulging me :smile:
Bob
Bob

which camera do you have - it will be in the menu, (one of them)

under format - or card set up - then yes or no - giving you a warning before you hit yes to format

EP is under "card set up" in the camera icon part of the menu

Cheers

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bob,
Just thought I'd mention this....
Format the card after you get the images into your computer.

Burkey.... We here at mu43 will hold you to that promise....

vintageslrs

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Bill

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
I have a Lumix G1 (and so will my wife once we get to Christmas).
I will look for it in the menu. I have not saved any photos to my hard drives
yet...but once I do--I will find that icon in the menu. Sounds like once I find that,
it's simple.

thanks again
Bob

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Bill

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
I have a Lumix G1 (and so will my wife once we get to Christmas).
I will look for it in the menu. I have not saved any photos to my hard drives
yet...but once I do--I will find that icon in the menu. Sounds like once I find that,
it's simple.

thanks again
Bob
Yeh Bob - make sure you download your images to your hard drive, (and then back those images up to an external drive) - before you format, (re format), your CF card

Once you are sure that you have copied all your images across to your hard drive (it is better to take the card out of the camera and use a Card Reader, (they are only a few $s or £s or whatever and you can get a "memory stick type card reader for the CF card that plugs into one of your USB ports) - put the card back into the camera and Format, (reformat), it

On the G1 it is under menu - then the spanner symbol, which is named "set up" - scroll down to FORMAT - then use the right across arrow on the rear dial, and no or yes will come up - select yes and the card will be formatted.

By the way - I usually download my images from the CF card to my computer after every shooting session - (every time I use the camera for me).

Good luck - ask if you need any more pointers - that is how I got to know all this stuff

Cheers

vintageslrs

Mu-43 Regular
Many thanks Bill.

I have only taken a few test images on my G1....once my wife gets her's on Christmas day....then we'll learn more. And then begin take more serious photos.
I am in the habit of saving everything to my hard drive and to my external hard drive. So after that I will reformat.
You mentioned a card reader instead of going from the camera to the PC.
That appeals to me greatly. Where's a good place to get a card reader for the SDHC cards?

thanks for your help
Bob

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Card Readers - most places really - they are cheap anyway - so if you get a known brand it will not be much more expensive than an unknown

Amazon is always a good starting point - use the link thru this site as it always helps a little

just search in Amazon and you will get quite a few plus the odd review - I have always found the Amazon, free delivery offers good.

Others will jump in if they know of any problems that they have experienced with memory card readers - I now have one built into my MacBookPro - so that has helped

Cheers

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
With m4/3s, I never take the card out of the camera, as the USB port is easily accessible and just as fast as card readers. I always format the card (in-camera) after download. Formatting ensures that there is minimal risk of residual data affecting the card operation. The camera records a small file on the card at the start of recording (and possibly during on off sequences) to identify the images and if this is not removed (via formatting, as downloading images does not remove the file, nor does deleting images) it can corrupt a card.

Cheers

Ray

vintageslrs

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you all.
I just visited amazon and saw a bunch and some are very reasonable!
For an old film shooter (have used film for 37 years) this is a whole new
education.

many thanks
Bob

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bob,
Most of the oldhead here were/are film shooters. This stuff is new to all of us.
We learn most of the tricks from the youngsters, we just don't let them know that.
Don

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bob,
Most of the oldhead here were/are film shooters. This stuff is new to all of us.
We learn most of the tricks from the youngsters, we just don't let them know that.
Don

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom