1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Formatting the SD card on a Panasonic GF3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jyap, May 28, 2012.

1. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This literally took me forever to find out.

I formatted my SD card on my Mac and then popped it into my GF3.

It then complained "THIS CARD IS NOT FORMATTED WITH THIS CAMERA AND NOT SUITABLE FOR MOVIE RECORDING".

Looking through the menus and through the manual came up with nothing.

Extensive Google searching later and it turns out that you need to have "Intelligent Auto Mode" turned OFF - that's the button with the blue light. Only then will extra menu items show up in in the settings screen.

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    It's best to format the media in the camera it is going to be used in. This also goes for switching media from one camera to another even if both are same brand and model.

I copy all files from media cards (either using the slot on computer or a USB card reader) to the computer using a pair of external USB drives. After confirming both sets of files are "good" I either put the media back in the camera and reformat, or set the media aside until I copy what I need from one of the external drives to the internal drive to work with.

Sounds a bit complicated but I haven't experienced a data loss. As inexpensive as external drives are getting I use a pair of 2TB drives to store both the "take" on current projects and archived finished projects.

But it remains best to format/reformat the media card in the camera it is going to be used in.

Heads off media problems.