1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

formatted card,but still left images?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Jun 22, 2011.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    can someone explain this...i formatted a previously used card...screen said no images.....i took a few pictures, deleted what i didn't want...placed my card in the machine at my local store to do some instant prints, and up popped some old images.....i thought formatting erased everything.....the only thing i can think of is that these images were put on this card via my laptop, and not the camera.........if this is the case, how do you totally erase and format a card ? thanks....

2. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    If you think of your SD card as a parking lot, the format function in the camera usually just erases the white parking lines and allows new image information to "park" in those spaces. Until something new parks there, however, the old information remains. It looks like the store machine accessed that old information.

The SD Association offers a free SD card formatting tool for Windows computers at:

SD Formatter 3.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association

I haven't used this one as I use the tool that comes with Lexar Professional cards, but it looks like it will do the job.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i was just under the impression that everything was erased when you format a card.....as opposed to deleting the images......i still think it has to do with the codeing from the laptop, versus how the camera codes images onto the card............it's a low volume card and i only use it to transfer images from the computer that i want to take to be printed, i have better high speed cards that i will use on vacations.........thanks for the other info...

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    No. Formatting and SD card does NOT get rid of the images. All it does is rewrite the directory tables. It also helps with utilizing the card better for contiguous blocks of data. Also, when the tables are rebuilt, there is a better chance of recovering a deleted image.

The only real way to get rid of data on ony sort of NOR or NAND flash is to typically call into the chip an erase function, where the chip then basically resets all the bits to a "1", and then the card becomes erased.

I never recommend anyone who sells cameras here or on the fleabay to ship them with the card unless the card is in-fact erased and then re-formatted. Using the program Bill links to has an option for a true erase of the card. Standard windows or in camera formatting tools don't do this. If you choose to do this, nothing will able to get recovered from the images. I would only recommend doing this if the card will somehow be out of your posession.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    thanks ....that explains it........

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I sorry to hear of your embarrassing situation. I hope the photo lab attendant didn't see the worst of your secret fetish photos. ;)

7. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    just me dressed as Dorothy.....my legs were hairier than Toto's that day..........problem was..it wasn't Halloween....

8. You see, if you'd waxed that day the situation wouldn't be nearly so embarrassing.

9. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    No one actually answered the question though. Ignoring the details about bit flipping and undeletes, the answer should be, yes when you format a card then put the card into a computer or printer after, the pictures should not show up.

so, where did you format the card? On the camera or on a computer? What camera was it? Or what type of computer was it? Does it happen often or just this once?

10. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    formatted in the camera..EPL1.....went to print out new images at CVS ( it was convenient ) and found the older images when their machine scanned my card...nothing embarrassing...just didn't expect to see them......and i only wax my shoulders because of my ink........and damn that hurts.....but it's entertaining for my wife....:rofl: