1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Forgotten Cemetery - GF1 & 20mm

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by cstevens, Mar 14, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I recently searched out a Forgotten Cemetery that I had heard about, it sickens me that the powers that be have let this sacred resting place fall into such disrepair. Its been there since the 12th centry, and was closed in the 80's and then our "modern" society allows this.....anyway, heres a few images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A complete set of images from the day can be seen here
    http://www.cm-photos.co.uk/events/graves/

bit of history of the site:

Wardsend Cemetery has a distinct military influence due to its close proximity to Hillsborough Barracks. The obelisk monument commemorates the soldiers of 6th, 19th, 24th, 33rd, 51st, 55th Regiments of Foot, Victorian Army, who died whilst at Hillsborough Barracks during the period 1866 - 1869.

A separate grave belongs to Lieutenant George Lambert V.C., an Irishman, born in Markethill, County Armagh, in December 1819. A sergeant in the 84th Regiment (York & Lancaster Regiment), he was promoted twice without purchase, and was awarded his Victoria Cross for conspicuous bravery during the Indian Mutiny at Oonao in 1857. His death was due to the breaking of a blood vessel on the parade ground of Hillsborough Barracks on February 10th 1860.

There are also memorials to several soldiers who gave their lives during both world wars.

Some of the 240 victims of The Great Sheffield Flood of the night of 11th/12th of March 1864, when the Dale Dyke reservoir at Bradfield, collapsed, were laid to rest in Wardsend Cemetery, including the children of Paymaster Sergeant Foulds, Isabella, aged 5 and John, aged 3, of Hillsborough Barracks, also Mr. Joseph Goddard and his wife Sarah, of Malin Bridge.

Of the 213 bodies which were found, there were 35 which were buried without being identified. In addition to the 240 people who were drowned there were 50 horses, 38 cows, 8 donkeys, 258 pigs, 267 fowls and 72 tame rabbits allegedly lost!!

Other epitaphs of interest are dedications to a number of Bible readers, one a member of the Philadelphian Wesleyan church; the Secretary of Sheffield Angling Association; widows referred to as relicts, and a reference to a 15 year old boy tragically killed at work in a colliery accident.

Wardsend dates back as far as 1161 and was then called wereldesend.(relating to a forest clearing), by 1336 the spelling had been changed to Werlsend and by 1388 it was call Wordesent.

Wardsend House was built on this site in 1477 and stood for 400 years,before being demolished in 1957.

By 1901 there had been some 20,000 interments on the site and the new area was concecrated in 1859 by Archbishop musgrave of York. It is said to be the only cemetry in the uk with a railway running through it.

It was also frequented by grave robbers,who sold the bodies to the medical school.

The final burial took place in 1977,when the re-internment of remains from a building site close to the Cathedral took place. It was officialy closed in 1988.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Great essay... Very moving photos... love your work...

3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great series, thanks. Shot number five I like most. Well captured.

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Thanks. I like shot 3 most I think, it goes to show just how isolated the place is.

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Craig for your reply. I'm waiting for weather to improve, then I will go out and shoot my hometown.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Craig,
    Very touching and informative presentation. The images were made with deep respect.
    Thanks for the vision and words....they will not go unnoticed.
    shooter

7. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Thanks Street shooter.

These graves where photographed with the upmost respect, and I plan to revisit to document some more. I didnt realise at first that I had found the right place as the bracken is so high in some places it covers the stones completely as some of my images show in the link.

I guess they all rest in peace now, but I still find it terrible that its been left to nature, as I understand the site still belongs to the church.

8. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks Craig for posting these images of days gone by. I suppose the time will come when we all are gone that sites like that will disappear and be replaced with modern buildings.......it is a sad state of affairs when cemeteries are left to decay.

9. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    It wont be long before they are all completely overgrown like this one

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.