1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Forgetting to Remember Where Ya Was

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The weather in Detroit being inclement I'm not shooting much but rather am working on post processing and such.

In trying to learn Elements 12 (I have a history of buying or upgrading to "the next new thing" without actually learning the software before moving on), I've spent some time geo-tagging photos from my catalog.

(None of my cameras have built in GPS).

I thought I'd pass along a tip I picked up decades ago for remembering where I was during hectic "It's Tuesday So This Must Be Belgium" type trips -

I ask for a brochure or business card or travel guide from wherever we are at and I take a photo of that. All photos that follow until the next photo of a brochure, card, etc. I know were taken at that place.

(If nothing is available I'm not above jotting the information quickly on a spiral notebook page and then photographing that.

It seems silly until you're trying to catalog photos six months later and are spending time trying to figure out where a specific photo was taken.

The Princess of the Exchequer went to Germany a few years back with her sister to visit one of my kids who was living there at the time. I got back a large collection of photos tagged..."Germany" :rolleyes:.

Not much idea if a photo was from Berlin or Munich or Mannheim...but by golly I know it was somewhere in Germany!

Technology has, of course, overcome the problem - assuming one has GPS available or actually uses it (don't get me started on folks who take photos with a camera and fail to set the date/time on the thing...).

Once the photos are imported and tagged the "location shot" photos are deleted.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  2. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    Great idea. I used something similar at the botanical gardens. I took a picture of the sign with the name of the flower/plant so that I could caption them and deleted them afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I take a photo of a business or billboard displaying a local phone number with area code, then just google that phone number.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AndyCr

AndyCr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2013
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Andy Cripps
    I've been playing with some old manual lenses lately. Since no lens data appears in the EXIF file, I was finding it tough to remember which lens was used when, and exactly when during the day I switched out one for another. Now I just take a picture of the lens before I put it on the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I think this is also good for documentary purposes. Even when you look at the miniatures you will know what it was and where.

I do that with film sometimes. Depends on how film loading is done with your camera but with my film Canons I usually get 37 exposures, so it mostly doesn't hurt - then I cut that frame and place it first in the negative sleeve, or if I get a contact sheet printed I mark that frame. Helps when you're on a two-week trip with multiple rolls of film, and then you develop in batches later. It doesn't take long to forget the dates, order and location.

You can get smartphone GPS logger apps though - or dedicated GPS loggers - from which you can export to a common waypoint file format and then tag your pictures in Lightroom.

As a side note - being an Olympus body user, I always wondered why they never came up with a GPS accessory for their AP port (never mind built-in) - everyone thought that this was going to be one of the first useful accessories they are going to come up with - and instead, it's pretty much only been EVFs.

As to manual lenses - I always set the lens FL in the IS menu - a) it ensures the IBIS deals with your lens correctly and b) well, stores the focal length in the metadata.

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    As to manual lenses - I always set the lens FL in the IS menu - a) it ensures the IBIS deals with your lens correctly and b) well, stores the focal length in the metadata.

Did not know that. Thanks.

7. AndyCr

AndyCr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2013
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Andy Cripps
    (Un)fortunately I had both a Pentax and Olympus 135mm. I could remember which I started with, and which was on the camera when I got home, but not exactly when I swapped them out

8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Fair enough. And there are also adapted zoom lenses - not much you can do about that.

9. uberzone

uberzone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    I think Panasonic cameras have an option to record a memo over a photo. That might be a good solution, but I have never tried it. It looks like you have an EM-5 so that won't help you unless Olympus has a similar option.