Forestfire, the aftermath

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by GRID, Nov 8, 2014.

  1. GRID

    GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

    Jun 22, 2011
    Some of you might have seen the photos i took this summer when the firefighters with help from helicopters and planes was fighting the biggest forestfire in modern time in sweden.
    Now i´ve been driving through that area (with a 4x4 adventure group) and here´s some of the photos i took. (Pana 20mm and Canon 300mm used)

    We meet up in the forrest.

    Close to where the fire started.

    Warningsigns telling you not to enter this area, because the trees might fall.

    Mostly the ground have been burnt here, but the roots of the trees can take damage and then they can fall.

    Driving to get something to eat.

    Quite common "korvgrillning" in sweden ;) 

    Going back to the firearea, and driving past "firestreets" made to stop the fire if it would spread in this direction.

    I think we was 11-12 cars.



    Alot of burnt and falen trees.




    All smaler roads are closed, because of the risk of falling trees.

    A Spruce burnt from the inside, and some of these are still standing so you never know when they will fall.


    One can imagine what it must have been like when you see big areas like this.


    This is how the forest looks just outside the burned area.

    So the blue area was where the fire started on a thursday, by saturday it was on the yello area (that was the area we just drove through)
    Then you see the pink area for sunday, and then the wind came and the purple area was all covered in 8hours on monday

    So we drove up to the north part of the purple area now, and it took 30-40min, so you can understand that the fire was spreading quickly on that monday.



    Ending with a Paralax panorama :)  (both background and foreground blured)

    More images on my site, and the images from the firefighting are there also.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. OzRay

    OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's almost a mirror image of what happened in our area earlier this year in our local plantations and we're expecting a big bush fire season this year in the mountains. Unfortunately, our environmental department is very reluctant to burn off dense undergrowth during the winter months, so the fuel builds up and when summer comes, the fires are infinitely worse. It doesn't help that there are firebugs (our local police apparently have over 100 registered in their offender list) ready to give nature a hand.
  3. RevBob

    RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

    Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Fascinating set!
  4. jjbigfly

    jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

    Sep 6, 2013
    I will swap my camera for the Land Rover pick up truck.....
    And the pictures are very nice also, but I want that truck.
  5. OzRay

    OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    But you'll need another two for spares. We have a saying in Australia: '95% of Landrovers are still on the road, the other 5% made it home.' :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GRID

    GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

    Jun 22, 2011
    Just learned that the green plants here only grow after forestfires, so the seed lay in the ground for many hundreds of years waiting.

    Nature can be quite strange :) 
  7. OzRay

    OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's exactly how Australian gum forests regenerate. Fire clears the ground of undergrowth, provides nourishment from the ash and allows the seeds to germinate. Unfortunately, when the fires become too fierce, they burn everything to a crisp (including the wildlife that can't escape in time) and there's nothing left but sticks, though things eventually return to what they were.
  8. Rasmus

    Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

    Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    What I really hope is that as much as possible of this burnt land could be turned into a national park and allowed to recover without human intervention. That would likely create an amazing place.
  9. swede

    swede Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

    Oct 25, 2014
    What do you mean by "parallax panorama" ?
  10. GRID

    GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

    Jun 22, 2011
    Background and foreground have motionblur, middle is sharp :) 
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tjdean01

    tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

    Feb 20, 2013
    Great images. Thank you for this!
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.