Forbidden Fruit

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NCV, Mar 30, 2016.

1. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I live in Italy and I also like photographing the Italy’s architectural heritage amongst other things.

When I visit a site I can never be sure as to whether photography is allowed or if I will meet the inflexible eagle-eyed jobsworth who will tell me photography is not allowed.

So now I am trying to develop a strategy. I try to see the key image I want and then get those two or three frames in before I am told that photography is not allowed.

I see that my LX100 can be commanded by my iPhone and has a silent shutter, Hmm another way to get around these stupid restrictions?

Anybody got any other ideas and what is it like in your country?. Italian churches are the worst offenders here.

I managed to get these two shots before getting nabbed on Monday. I always apologise profusely for committing this heinous crime. It was taken in the Beata Vergine della Ghiara in Reggio Emilia with the 7-18 2.8

• Like Like x 15
  2. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    If I built such beautiful thing, I'd welcome everyone in the world to take photos of it. :popcorm2:
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Here in the US, if it's public property you can photograph it, with a few minor exceptions. Always best to ask first in any case as I know that churches are not public property. If it is not posted, take pictures until you are asked to stop. Not knowing and openly shooting is better than knowing and sneaking around.
  4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I can understand concerns about flash photography of painted surfaces, and I could understand prohibiting photographs in churches when services are taking place, but otherwise? I don't see it. Maybe they just want to sell more postcards.

In terms of suggestions for stealth photography -- maybe something like the Olympus Air? It doesn't look like a camera, particularly the white one. Stick it in a shirt pocket facing upward, and when you're operating it you'll just look like one more idiot who can't stop messing with his phone long enough to appreciate the glory of his surroundings.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Welcome to the club.

Those are beautiful, colourful ceilings. And well captured especially considering the constraints. Interestingly its in Italy that I've been told put away my camera more than anywhere else; in churches, public buildings and once even outside a public building for taking a picture of what must have been a politician (not that I knew).

As MaK543 says I'd want the world to know how beautiful my buildings/ churches/ heritage/ art is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I haven't noticed this as an issue here in Spain. I have taken plenty of photos in historic buildings such as the Alhambra, Alcazar of Seville, and Mezquita in Cordoba, as well as lots of cathedrals and smaller churches. There may be some specific restrictions (e.g. on use of tripods or taking photos during church services) but I haven't seen any general prohibition on photography in these places, and nobody has ever interfered with my taking photos. Museums and art galleries might be different, I don't generally take photos in those places so I might not have noticed.
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can see both sides. I obviously enjoy photography, but I've been to plenty of famous spots where the number of photographers quickly becomes a nuisance for everyone else. I am sure these rules were enacted after problems of some sort.
  8. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    This place (my town) is in a town that moans that they do not get many tourists compared to our nearest cities. I think it is a problem of reproductions rights as this church has recently been restored. We have a law in Italy where one cannot publish pictures of public monuments without getting permission and then paying a fee if you want to publish the photo's. the EU tried a similar ruse to apply the law to the whole of Europe, but it was voted out after a huge outcry in 2015.

Some places say you can take pictures as long as they are for personal use. Some places just do not care and some particularly Churches just say no.

Today for example at the Rocca di San Secondo near Parma they were only to happy to let me take pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    When I was in Istanbul all the privately owned placed (Dolmabahçe Palace especially) had strict no Photo policies that were quite closely guarded and clearly announced by tour guides so you could not claim to not know. I left my camera hanging around my neck with the 9mm bodycap attached and sometimes held it so that it was level. Electronic shutter was key for this. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention earlier and my battery ran out:dash2: but this is probably the strategy I would use in future for interiors where you often want to get the whole place in anyway. Ideally I would have had better fisheye lens, but fisheye + camera /w electronic shutter around the neck definitely works, when you know you have to be sneaky.
    Istanbul 2015 Best-8.
    This is what I got in the side part of the palace (same policy, but less impressive interiors).
    The shot is quite noisy because the bodycap limits you to f8. That said, printed on A4 in my photobook it held up much better than on the Retina Screen of my Macbook. Doing this with the new Oly Fisheye should yield much better results.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1