1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

For Vlogging with a Panasonic G7, would I use AFC or AFF?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SweetPotato, Feb 12, 2018.

1. SweetPotato

SweetPotato New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2017
    I'm reading my panasonic g7 manual, page 30, but it doesn't really go into detail about the differences of autofocusing settings.

From online googling it seems
    AFC - Subject is moving
    AFF - Movement cannot be predicted

So which would ensure fast and quick autofocusing onto my face and my surroundings?

Possibly relevant sidenote: I use 1-area focusing instead of face tracking because I want to turn the camera around to my surroundings from time to time.

2. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

AFF is designed for stills photography where it is trying to predict whether to use AFC or AFS based on movement in the frame.

3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Honestly don't use either! Even if it worked perfectly, changes in focus can be anywhere from slightly noticeable to viewers, to completely off putting.

What lens are you using?

If you are using the 14-42 kit lens, set it to 14mm, F/5.6-8.0, and the appropriate SS for your frame rate. Then adjust ISO to get the proper exposure. Unless you are widely moving towards and away from the camera you will always be in focus, and the lens will be at it's sharpest across the frame.

4. SweetPotato

SweetPotato New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2017
    I'm using the kit lens 14-42. I get the setting up part, but if you say to use neither, are you recommending manual focus instead?

5. SweetPotato

SweetPotato New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2017
    So in this case AFC would be best?

6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Yep.

Set the camera to manual focus, and then once you are in place either hit the auto focus button on the screen or in the camera app if you can't easily reach the screen. The camera will focus once, and then not change.

7. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

AFF makes it decision only at initial acquisition. But it really doesn't matter as you have to set continuous autofocus for video in the Motion Picture menu. With video, the physical button only determines autofocus or manual... if set to autofocus you have to go into the menus to toggle between continuous on and off.

But with that said, Panasonic cameras are notorious for missing/hunting in continuous autofocus with video. Not as bad as Nikon, but nowhere near as good as Sony and Canon. So you'll just have to experiment a bit with your background and lighting to see if you can get the results you desire.

As DanS mentioned, another method would be to go wide with small aperture to increase depth of field and hope you can cover everything with a single focus point. Still another way would be to use a tablet or phone to change the focus point when needed.

8. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    CAF is not reliable with any Panasonic mirrorless camera (same goes for most if not all Olympus mirrorless too). One fair solution (and one I use a lot) is to order a wireless remote shutter release (I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Oppilas-RW-2..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=3F2ES0F40WH5CQ3H4YCY). Set camera for AFS (Single Autofocus). Turn the LCD around so you can see it from in front of the camera, have the single area AF box positioned so it's over your face when you're in position, press the button halfway on the remote just like you would on the shutter release to do a SAF operation (don't let up) and continue pressing all the way to start the recording when the box on the LCD indicates focus "lock". Press all the way again to stop.

Or set for MF and use a "stand in" to focus on. I'll often put a light stand where I plan to be (marking it's position with tape on the floor or a leaf outdoors), focus on it then move it out of the frame and take your position. You can either start the recording with the remote as above (without AF) or start the camera "rolling" after focusing on the "stand in" and edit out the portion before you are ready to start "presenting".

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.