1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

For video G5 or G6?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JohnN, Apr 17, 2015.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi,

I'll fess up and say straight away that I have an E-M1, so for still, fast AF etc I'm covered, but I'd heard that for video Panasonic is the way to go, so as I don't need (or really wan't 4K, nor do I want to spend that much) the GH4 is out, that sort of left me with the G6, but then whats the bonuses over the G5, which is again cheaper.

I'm only really planning on filming the kids but I don't want to do too much post processing so would like something I can almost just fire and forget - thats really where I'm hoping this will shine.

The reason I was honing in on those is that I have some decent m43 lenses and don't want to spend much over £200.

Or should I look to something else altogether?

So what are your guys (and of course guyess's ;)) findings?

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you want to fire and forget the G5 will allow you to do that (and only that) with good results - from a video quality standpoint. However, if you want even a little control over your exposure then you need to step up to the G6. In addition to full control over exposure (ISO, aperture and shutter speed) The G6 also offers focus peaking, various frame rates, and a microphone input. All in all, its a much better camera for video work if you ever want to do more with video than just press a button to start recording it.

For me, the ability to set a 180 degree shutter (1/frame rate) to ensure smooth looking video and the ability to get the exposure to look how I want it to rather than only being able to capture it as the camera's meter thinks it should be captured is reason enough to go with the G6.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thats great Eric - thank you - for me it makes sense to have something I can grow into if video actually takes me.

I had though the G6 before I wrote this and after reading your very helpful reply I an now convinced.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I can tell you that G6 has focus peaking over G5 that works for video too. Then there was a better EVF, external mic connection, manual mode for video. So for video is the best camera.

But I'm just not that sure that the G6 is a better option over the E-M1 that is already a very good camera for video. I think you gain something like 25 fps and not only 30 fps, better focus peaking...not much more as far as I can remember and for sure you loose 5-axis IBIS. You need to go for the GH4 to see a bigger difference in features.

• Like Like x 1