For those who like grainy B&W

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Malo1961, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All taken with the E-P1

• Like Like x 12
  2. CalebPhotographer

CalebPhotographer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Florida
    I like the first and last best.

I would probably like the third if I didn't dislike cows.

I would say that the first, third, and fourth are definitely print worthy and could probably be sold at art conventions.
    Thanks for the wonderful examples of the fine art that can be produced with the EP1.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Matin,
    Geeze...no one likes the look of that filter...I mean after all...if ya use that ya don't need to suffer and shoot raw like me.....

Kiddin...it's my favorite filter and then the soft focus.....very cool.....

4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Martin

I really enjoy BW, and the the textures in the first one really reach out. Nice composition.

5. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks all for the kind words.:redface: To rectify some misunderstanding. I didn't use the in camera grainy filter or mono settings
    All these are 100 ISO pictures, raw processed in Elements or LR and the B&W processing was done using TrueGrain. (APX 400,modified)

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Martin,
    Have you tried the filter? For a quick lpeg, it really works....

7. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I did Shooter. But....I really never use jpeg"s out of the camera., though the quality is wonderful.
    I just like the raw work flow and the amount of control it offers.

8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yeah, me too but the filters are delicious......

9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  10. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I like grainy, dirty and gritty B&W images.
    This series caught my eyes thanks to the diversity, and the images are also all a pleasure to look at. Grains and three grainy...

I like them all, and #2-4 the best. The stair shadow image is very effective using the diagonal and with the direction pointing up and away, it is free to interpret in many ways. The cow is nicely done and the building is again very well done as it is, taken from the right direction giving us all of it; construction, stairs, patterns, grain. The unusual architecture helps as I had to look several times.

However, there is always a but... I wonder if there is something in your PP routines causing the sharpening halos (they may come from sharpening, maybe from Local Contrast Enhancement, or both). It may be just me but that make the images look a bit artificial compared to film images. Or is it the TrueGrain thing (a plug-in I guess) making it?

Thank you for the images,

Jonas

ps,
    I'm not sure about the culture here. Maybe C&C is not supposed to be given?

11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Jonas, we don't have any culture around here. You can C&C in words but doing to an image should go up to the Straight Talk Discussion Group.
    They definitely don't any culture up there either.....

12. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Ah, I remember having seen a post about that group but then I never happened to stumble on to it. I had to search and think... and found it. Thank you. I hope nobody minds a few words on random images either.

Jonas

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Great work. I particularly like #2, but I really like all of them a lot. After all of the years of shooting with tri-x and pushing the crap out of it to get that grainy look, when I first got the E-PL1 I couldn't seem to turn that filter off. I loved it. Then I started playing with raw files and I don't use it much anymore, but I've found some film emulators that'll get you close, particularly in combination with colored filters. These are two of the first five or ten shutter clicks from when I first got the camera and turned that filter on - I'm not sure whether I loved or hated that you could just press a couple of buttons and get that look we'd sweat blood for years ago. I sure had fun with it though.

-Ray

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray, I agree. The look is what took a long time in the Dungeon. I liked it in there tho...
    but...I wish the filter wrote the meta data to the raw file...then you could duplicate the effect on the raw file....

15. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Ray, great shots!
    Which "film emulator" are you using -- Silver EFEX? TrueGrain?

16. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    All the images in this thread are fantastic. I think that TrueGrain application is something worth getting!

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There's no set culture. Some people like C&C, others don't. I guess it just takes a while for everyone to get to know one another's preference. There was a long thread about this a while back, and opinions varied widely about whether it's a good idea to offer unsolicited C&C.

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I liked it in there too, but I don't know that I'd go back.... Sort of like being 19 again - wouldn't have missed it for the world but wouldn't do it again if you paid me. A LOT.

I too wish you could pull RAW files out of the camera like that and then manipulate them farther. I actually may have done these two in Olympus Master, which has the same effects as the camera, and had them interact a bit with different color B&W filters to see which worked best. I recall that the filter had a huge impact on the roughness and pattern of the grain. But you're limited to what Oly Master could do - once you get it where you like it, you have to "develop" it, which turns it into a jpeg. No way to bring the grain into Aperture 3 along with the RAW for further tweaking. Then again, I'd bet there are some good "grainy film" presets floating around out there for Aperture 3 - I'll have to hunt around a bit.

-Ray

19. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    First, thanks. Second, no, as noted above in response to Shooter, those were either done with the PL1's filter straight out of the camera or in Olympus Master, applying the exact same Olympus filter. I'm pretty sure I tried it both ways and I think these were the Oly Master results but I'll be damned if I can remember for certain. I'm going to have to find a good preset for Aperture - I've found a bunch of B&W film emulators that will get you in the neighborhood, but not quite THERE like the Olympus filters and the stuff used in the OP's great images.

-Ray

20. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Thank you Amin.

Discussed and done with then. Personally I see no meaning in posting something and not getting constructive critique in return... But OK. I think I'll play it safe, visit the Straight talk group from time to time and not comment anything elsewhere.

regards,

Jonas