For those who already own and use the Oly 12-40 2.8 PRO

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by WT21, Sep 22, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Are you considering the LX100?

Why/why not?

Just looking for some help. I don't have the Oly12-40, and am trying to figure out whether to roll with that, or go with the LX100.
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I know how to react to issues(lighting, camera parameters) with the 12-40 . Have no clue how the LX100 will feel, react to issues, and how to adjust the camera. I use the 12-40 on E-M1 and GX7 and am content. If it ain't broken, not gonna fix it. I'm sure once real world reviews are in, I might be tempted, but the only thing I want right now is the 42.5 1.2 panny, otherwise very happy.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Unfortunately an LX100 won't replace a 12-35/40. I need the lens on a camera that can take other lenses too, so while the LX100 is a nice looking bit of kit, it serves no purpose for me. If I want small I have the GM1 which even that isn't small/light enough sometimes. If I want full functionality I have other larger m4/3 cameras. And while the LX100's lens starts out very bright, by the time it gets to my favorite 17mm focal length it's slower than the 17mm f/1.8 so it's just not for me considering all the other things it gives up (tilting touchscreen, pixel count, etc.).

What are your thoughts on the LX100 vs. 12-40mm f/2.8?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I only just purchased a 12-40 and already had an EM5 and EPM2 and lots of lenses, so the LX100 isn't compelling to me. The actual results remain to be seen as well. More and more I prefer longer focal lengths as well.
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The LX100 is P&S camera with a really big sensor and what is probably a very good lens. It is not the functional equivalent of a high end µ4/3 interchangeable lens camera system. I will buy the LX100 to replace my XZ-2. It has nothing to do with my E-M1 and 12-40/2.8.

For those with reduced means, it may be an either/or proposition, but then the decision is driven by cost.
  6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't understand the choice posited by the OP.... How can camera with a fixed lens be an alternative to a lens alone? BTW, the LX100 appears to be a neat little camera, but it wont replace a system with interchangeable lenses... BTW, you want FF performance (detail & IQ) from a point & shoot?

DP2-M Sigma.... around $500 used......
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    12-40 is weather sealed, more robust, has direct manual zoom, has MF distance scale and has probably a tad better iq. Some might consider the included lenshood a bonus too.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have and love the 12-40, but I'm unsure on what an LX100 is, so no I won't be getting one.
  9. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    I have the 12-40 Pro on my EM5 but I agree with another poster that I don't see the comparison. The 12-40 is almost as big as an Lx100! I just sold off my LX5 because I killed 2 birds with one stone- I wanted a larger sensor compact and I wanted a backup mu43 body. I picked up an EPM2 and that works for me. It has the added advantage of using almost the same menu options so I've got both cameras set alike and switching on the fly is a no brainer.
    The EPM2 with either my Oly 14-42 EZ or Panny 20mm f/1.7 gives me a setup about the same size as the new LX100. It is also more versatile that the fixed lens LX100. Yeah, it would be great to have a fast pancake zoom, but I can live with the EZ and Panny for all the other advantages that setup brings me.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I voted "I think I would like to buy both lenses"
    Well, in addition to 12-35 and 12-32, LX100 would be my 3'd lens in 12-35 range, so I think I'll skip it for now :))
    IMO, LX100 is a good choice if you want to spend money on only one camera + one lens, but if you have 12-40(35) then you're likely out of "single kit lens" territory already.
  11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm probably going to sell my EM5 and 12-40 to fund my LX100. I've always found the 12-40 to be too big for m43 bodies, it is almost as big as a DX lens. The LX100 confirms a smaller lens is possible.

I do hope the LX100 is as sharp as the 12-40 but I have my doubts.
  12. blindinglight

blindinglight Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2014
    I don't understand threads like these. Always think long term. 4 or 5 years down the line, a body or a compact P&S will be old tech. An old quality lens will always be a quality lens and will hold its own value as you recycle to newer bodies with better tech every few months.

Just like a phone, printer, computer etc., its not wise to hold on to them since they depreciate in value quite faster every year. Upgrading every year or so is a drag but sometimes becomes a necessity unless you wanna hold on to old-school and shun the convenience of newer features. A quality glass on the other hand, if the system is still surviving, will remain quality glass.

Portability and mobility has a price. But portable electronics is the carrot at the end of the stick of these manufacturers as they refresh their products every year so you feel like upgrading to the newer and better. I can imagine what features and additional hardware the LX100S, LX100T, LX100X and LX100LX (insert any Camera Body model or any MILC body here) will be like. Though bulky, my 12-40mm will be the same weatherproof sharp lens it will always be.

I'm not saying upgrading is poppycock. If Olympus or Panasonic will come up with a 12-40mm lens that's sharper across the board even at the longest focal length, bigger aperture and the size of the 45mm prime, I'll get on board. But lens vs a compact is like comparing the iPhone 8S vs the M43 system.

My 2 cents.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I so agree. But, what's even funnier is the option listed for voting "I would buy both lenses". Only one of them is a lens, the other is a point and shoot camera.
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I sold my 12-35 to fund the LX100. So yes.

For light weight travel and convenience, I don't think there is a better alternative on the market when taking the following into account:

Useful focal range.
    High IQ...almost certainly a resounding yes given the sensor size and bright lens.
    Engaging user experience...yes (I absolutely HATED the sony RX100 and any camera with no dials or controls for that matter)
    Ultra HD video with FULL manual control at the press of a button.
    Image stabilization.

Can this camera entirely replace an ILC system ? For the vast majority NO...for many though, it will be able to replace at least a part of a system or compliment a system.
  15. blindinglight

Jul 24, 2014
    Thanks. And just to clarify, for those that are about to buy this camera, if you have the right reasons, go for it. I'm considering one myself (GAS anyone?) after I read enough in-depth reviews and see all the cons. But if you'll ask me if I'm gonna sell a good lens for a compact? No way, José.
  16. blindinglight

Jul 24, 2014
  17. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    For me the LX100 was a total blindside. I was set on the GM5 because I could use my great lineup of M43 glass and adaptors. However I mainly use my 12-40 for my kids and times when I'm not really sure what I'll run into and don't want to bother with lens changing. However it's kind of backwards because it's the biggest lens I own for my M43 kit but my needs are really for an even smaller compact system. So here we have the LX100.

I am willing to wait and see some real world tests and reviews but I am definitely considering replacing the 12-40 for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Who knows where m43 will be in 4-5 years and what new lenses will come up. Like abandoning of old 4/3 has never happened..
    Also, not everyone runs by optimizing their life for money, some people agree to pay more if they'll get more comfort and fun for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Good points. If m43 is about money, you are playing a losing game. For me m43 is about getting more pictures by having a camera with me. I'm willing to pay a good chunk for a camera that fits into cargo pants that has great IQ and an ability to isolated subjects with bokeh.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I own the 12-40 with the EM1. I am not interested at this point in time in purchasing a fixed lens camera with similar lens and sensor specs. In fact, since owning this zoom, I have hardly used my 45mm prime, the zoom is that impressive.

It is both a matter of economics and ergonomics. I carry the EM1, zoom + FL600R on a sling strap and find I can carry it all day. This provides me with an excellent tool that can cater for most shots, on most conditions. The ergonomics and functionality of this package are compact, feature packed and easy enough to use. Fill flash in broad skylight is no issue with high speed sync.

Maybe the new Panasonic will be an option for me in the future, but not now. I would rather diversify elsewhere with another prime lens specifically for street photography that will be used on another older body where absolute pixel quality is not paramount.

On the economic side, I have decided to sit back and watch the market for the next year or so. I believe there are many big changes coming soon and I do not wish to continue committing resources to satisfy GAS cravings when I have more than enough gear already. Apart from a my recent purchase of a sigma prime for the street ($150), all my future resources will go towards a custom built desktop that will cater for any PP requirements, regardless of camera.
    • Like Like x 1