For those that just have to use a "protective filter"

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mcasan, Jan 24, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't really use filters to protect against metal balls, it's generally to prevent grit/sand abrading the coatings and make the lens easier to clean (easier in that I don't think twice about using my shirt). I've never once had a filter get broken by a rock, although I've had metal filings scratch them several times...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    You never know when someone might fire a grapeshot at you. Also, the camera might get totally busted but at least the filter is scratch-free.
    The water-repelling feature seems quite useful though

4. Orionwest

Orionwest New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2015
    On a hike the front of the lens hit a rock and cost 131.00 to get repaired by Olympus. I didn't have a filter or cover on it so it was a great learning experience so this might be worthwhile.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't get it. First of all they don't come in m4/3 sizes (except maybe the 40-150mm and 300mm PROs), they're all for huge diameter lenses. Second, they cost about as much to replace as your front element repair!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    At a competitive price I'd buy the extra protection that Sigma offers, but I'm with @eteless@eteless: Metal balls being shot at my lenses are not high on my list of things to worry about.

Actually the last time one of my filters sacrificed itself for the lens, the camera jumped off a table onto industrial carpet over concrete and the filter ring hit first. That impact shattered the filter glass but the bent threaded stuff was limited to the ring. The shattering of the glass was probably an advantage as it absorbed energy that might otherwise have been transmitted into the camera. Unscrew what's left of the filter, clean up, install new one, and life goes on.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Sorry, my text of "optical prophylactics" was meant to tip you off. This was mean as factual, but very tongue in cheek. A protective "filter" never goes on one of my lenses. I use hoods on my lenses when I am out shooting landscapes and wildlife.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    I always use filters. The good ones are worth it in terms of being transparent on your image quality and with flare. I've had many close calls where I was very glad to have the filter on! These new sigma ones look interesting.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use protective filters, but try to get good ones when I can afford them (eg. B&W). Glad I had one on my 12-40 Pro lens and EM1 when my nephew hit the camera square with a big snowball last month. No stones or rocks, but I was able to brush and blow off the snow and wipe with my shirt. Didn't worry about the lens element. Whew.