For those looking for Adobe alternatives...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  2. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    They have some good stuff for sure. I also really like Affinity Photo as a Photoshop replacement as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Does this allow RAW editing? Very vague on details....

*currently looking for Lightroom alternatives as the whole "CC" thing is not my cup or tea*

Z...

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The Macphun apps can handle several different image formats such as raw and jpg. The trials are free. BTW, KelbyOne the well known Adobe photo app training company is now also getting on board with Macphun.

5. AlexMachine

AlexMachine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2016
    Finland
    Affinity photo with Nik plugins gets more and more my time now days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    Went to have a look, no Windows version for Luminar. :(

7. While a Mac guy myself, MacPhun has said they are working on a Windows version of both Luminar and AuroraHDR 2017.

I personally like Affinity Photo as well, but use ON1 PhotoRAW primarily because of its extremely fast Browse mode (great for culling the herd). Browse is not a DAM like LR but it is much quicker and has many built in features including a decent Print (ReSize) module... it is also available in both Mac and PC.

MacPhun is also supposedly working on a type of DAM to work with Luminar. Not sure if it will be a full blown DAM like LR or a Browse module like found in ON1 PhotoRAW. In either case though unless you need a full blown cataloguing DAM like LR ON1 works just fine and has most of LR's tools and then some.

I think when Affinity comes out with some form of DAM/Browse it will become a frontrunner... jmho... but by the number of requests it certainly seems to be a requirement of many.

All three (Luminar, Affinity Photo and ON1 PhotoRAW) are usable through Photos Extensions as well if Photos is your method of import on the Mac. All three have some great online video resources (mostly free) for photographers and users of their programs alike.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    What is a DAM?

9. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    Digital Asset Management (I think).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sorry... my bad for the short form!
    Correct... while DAM might be useful for Pros and those with 10s of thousands of photos and if they wish to tag, flag and star rate all their photos... and if they want to keep their photos in one place (the less complicated way imo with LR) as opposed to the Finder/Folder (apple) way of organizing their photos then DAM through LR is a great way to do so. LR also offers some features (their Print module) that other progs didn't in the past... but they are catching up. Running most of my photos off of my (currently) fastest computer means I am always cognizant of disk space. Thus I have a need to have my photos on various other media, or on a NAS.
    Notwithstanding my own personal issue with subscription based programs like the LR/PS platform I am concerned about putting all my eggs in one basket... but moreso of the problems I may eventually have if and when I want to take my eggs out of that basket. Case in point... those who bled Aperture as their DAM of choice did not all find the transition from Aperture to LR seamless as they were led to believe. Moving from Aperture to Photos... moving from Aperture to Capture One... same thing... think proprietary! There will always be issues that will mean once you are locked into one specific program, again, imo... you feel indebted to stay there where you like it or not. Thus my reason for leaning more towards a program like On1 PhotoRaw for my "pseudo" DAM (using it's Browse feature). Nothing is locked into a specific catalogue(s) as it is in LR. I can edit in any program I like and most of all I can move things around in the Finder without the consequences I would get in LR. btw... I have had a subscription for LR/PS for two years now and while I do not use PS at all any more (see Affinity Photo, Luminar or ON1 PhotoRAW) I also rarely use LR. I have courses I have purchased for LR but the learning curve, nuances etc have kept me from diving in the deep end. There are many who use LR for some very simple RAW adjustments before heading to one of the three aforementioned programs that offer simple quick solutions with a similarly high degree of accuracy that LR does.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

I just got Luminar and Aurora HDR. They seem very, very, good for a first release. They're promising asset management in future versions; for now, it's a stand-alone photo editor or a plugin for LR, Aperture, and Photos.

Mac only, but they're planning a Windows release.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    I was a Lightroom user, starting from it's first public beta release until version 6.x - and I approached the DAM of my RAW files with gusto! Having my own issues with subscription based programs, and after some serious soul searching, I gave up LR and changed my basic approach to my photo library. I've adopted Capture One Pro as my RAW development software, and for most photos I take, I export to a jpeg and then delete the RAW file. I will still keep the RAW files for the occasional, more formal photoshoot.

I've been an ACDSee user since it came out many years ago and use it to manage the jpeg derivatives. It has a good collection of tools to organize and manage my files, along with some pretty nice editing capabilities, both non-destrictive and pixel editing. It's closely connected to the file system and catalogs files as you browse, or by command... but no import of a folder is required before working with your photos.

I've got ON1 Photo RAW as well but haven't yet really spent enough time with it to appreciate it.

For the rare photo project I might do, I purchased the Affinity Photo software (for Windows) - an amazing amount of power for a pittance!

• Like Like x 1
  13. It used to be these were considered "Canned" software only... and mentioned in the same breath as PS Elements. They are imo though far more feature rich... and not Adobe.

As an aside on the Adobe issue I have. I have no problem with the programs and I know I could pay for a single use of LR, but they sort of have you by the short ones in that they only really update their subscription model... in an attempt to hold you ransom for to that method. One of the Photo Clubs I belong to in my town is a bit older and mainly uses the simpler PS Elements so because I didn't really use, and hadn't downloaded PS at the time I asked if they would switch the subscript to LR/PSE instead... obviously a downgrade, but a more useful combo for me... I was summarily given the auto response you would expect from a telephone support person reading from a manual... with the added... "you should buy PSElements as it is not part of the subscription." I loved the way they tried to work with their customer!! :hmmm:

14. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    Have you thought about buying the perpetual license for LightRoom? It means you don't need to subscribe to CC. Adobe make it pretty hard to find on their site but it's there if you look hard enough.

15. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

In my world, it's a female goat with kids. :)

I think the word came from, "Damn, them suckers is drinking all my milk!"
    J4020037.JPG
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Olympus 7-11mm ƒ2.8 @ 7mm, ISO 1600, 1/60th @ ƒ2.8.

Grab shot; no EVF or screen used. Looks like auto-focus got it wrong.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I know it's there, but I figure it won't be for much longer. Pre-emptive strike, may as well switch while I'm up for it...

Z...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    This whole thread is so making me wish Apple did not abandon Aperture.... :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    If you can find it, let me know where. I looked for it the other day and could not find it. Had it bookmarked from a few months ago, but apparently Adobe moved it. All I can find now is the CC version, which I don't want.

19. I purchased Aperture a month before they dumped it... and feel the same as you... abandoned... and still searching for an alternative...

Apparently one of the key developers of Aperture is the main guy behind Gentlemen Coders and have developed RAW Power for Mac, both as a standalone and Photos extension. Since inception just a few months back it has already grown and is a pretty impressive piece of software for working on your RAW files. It's not a DAM in any form but is a pretty darn good program for your RAW files.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Although I was having increasing performance issues.

But perhaps I just need a computer that was born after GW Bush was president.

• Funny Funny x 2