For those looking for a good cheap video editor . . .

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think I found it in VSDC Free Video editor from Flash Integro. It seems reasonably easy to use and rather complete. There are even pretty decent instructions on how to use it on their website! http://www.videosoftdev.com/

I have also bought ACDSee's Video Converter pro 4. It's a pretty conventional video converter, but it's reasonably cheap (<$30 US), and it allows you to trim the beginning and end of a video so you can avoid unnecessary throat clearing and empty stares at the end! Otherwise pretty conventional.

For those with aspirations towards creating video tutorials. Snagit 11 has just been released. Yeah, it's kind of expensive ($50 US) compared to the competition, but it can capture not only screen video, but still images as well. the built-in editor pre V11 allowed still image editing and annotation, but the V11 version allows one to edit the video screen capture as well. You can not only trim he beginning and end of the videos like ACDSee, but insert still images and other video into the middle of the thing as well. A fairly decent light duty editor. (they also sell the $300 full fledged editor Camista if you're so inclined.) http://www.techsmith.com/

I'm trying to learn all three of these products, and I think that while I'm hardly an expert, that for an expenditure of about $80 USD, I've gotten a reasonably adequate video processing set up.

hemuni

Mu-43 Regular
VSCD seems pretty descent especially considering the price, just take care when installing or you will end up with a lot of additional junk- and spamware. Lightworks is another very nice alternative although the interface is radically different and the free version only exports in 720p. I'm guessing you are only considering windows software otherwise imovie is a no brainer.

D

Deleted member 20897

Can this (or indeed VSDC) be made to work with the .MOV files created by my E-PM2? When I load a file it just shows as black.

You probably need to install the proper codec into the OS.

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
As an experiment, I shot a video with my GX7 at our church choir concert. Without an external mike, the sound is awful. But there is a good quality CD of the concert. Is there an easy to use video editor which will let me sync the sound from the CD to my video?

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think I found it in VSDC Free Video editor from Flash Integro. It seems reasonably easy to use and rather complete. There are even pretty decent instructions on how to use it on their website! Free Download Video Converter, freeware audio and video tools: Free Video Editor, Free Audio Converter

I have also bought ACDSee's Video Converter pro 4. It's a pretty conventional video converter, but it's reasonably cheap (<$30 US), and it allows you to trim the beginning and end of a video so you can avoid unnecessary throat clearing and empty stares at the end! Otherwise pretty conventional.

For those with aspirations towards creating video tutorials. Snagit 11 has just been released. Yeah, it's kind of expensive ($50 US) compared to the competition, but it can capture not only screen video, but still images as well. the built-in editor pre V11 allowed still image editing and annotation, but the V11 version allows one to edit the video screen capture as well. You can not only trim he beginning and end of the videos like ACDSee, but insert still images and other video into the middle of the thing as well. A fairly decent light duty editor. (they also sell the $300 full fledged editor Camista if you're so inclined.) TechSmith - Capture & record your screen, communicate visually

I'm trying to learn all three of these products, and I think that while I'm hardly an expert, that for an expenditure of about $80 USD, I've gotten a reasonably adequate video processing set up.

Just a further note, I have stopped using VSDC, It was too difficult to continually filter out the adware and the oddly suspicious-ware that the updates would try to install. I have since moved on to ACDSee Video Studio. It isn't super powerful, but it was relatively cheap, very easy to use, and it does the things I NEED it to do. And most importantly, I don't have to worry about 'oddware' sneaking onto my system all the time.

Last edited:

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
As an experiment, I shot a video with my GX7 at our church choir concert. Without an external mike, the sound is awful. But there is a good quality CD of the concert. Is there an easy to use video editor which will let me sync the sound from the CD to my video?

My suspicion is, that sound synchronization, and 'easy to use' won't be found in many, if any, software packages.

D

Deleted member 20897

Check out PluralEyes.

I got it free with my Rode VideoMic purchase, but it is $99. It can sync external audio with video tracks. Many industry video professionals use it with Adobe Premiere Pro.

PluralEyes Express, Professional audio syncing software from Red Giant

Latest threads

Top Bottom