For the GX8 lovers

Real Name
Roddy
A quick question. I snagged a GX8 from FleaBay the other day and it arrived this morning. I have spent a very happy evening getting to grips with it and have a quick question which I hope someone may provide an answer to.

The E-shutter. I have this dialled in without problem and wonder whether it is supposed to have a variety of noises to it in Silent Mode? My G6, for example, makes a distinct quiet 'click', but nothing else. The E-shutter from my GX8 varies from a whisper-quiet 'click', to a heavy two-stage 'g-dunc', to a metallic faint gong occasionally, a 'tic' now and again and so on. Does your GX8 make a variety of sounds for its E-shutter? Every shot I take it makes a different sound and to be frank, I wonder whether the heavy movement I hear is cause for vibration similar to shutter-shock.

Other than that she's a beaut, so far :D Love the colour rendition...

Any tips and tricks I should know about? All suggestions welcome.....

Real Name
Joshua
Silent mode should be an electronic shutter only, it may still beep or make a simulated shutter sound which you can disable in the menu.
You can program one of the multi-function buttons to toggle silent mode on and off, I use the button nearest the top right for this. Programming those buttons to do what you access frequently is my biggest tip.

You might be in automatic shutter mode, which swaps between electronic shutter and mechanical shutter depending on the lens and timing of the shot.

You can also get a ton of tips from this webpage.

Real Name
Roddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the reply. I do indeed have Silent Mode set on a fn button, as I have some other functions, too. I'm not new to Panasonic so all is well on that score. But I also have the problem outlined above in E-shutter alone, not on auto (the mechanical shutter is a lovely sound for a mirrorless camera) - so that is not the cause. I have to reiterate that the sound (in silent mode) ranges from the whisper quiet click one can barely hear (and what I am used to on the G6 and the wife's GM5) to a definitive 'g-thunck' - the camera actually vibrates a tiny bit... I'm just wondering if this is normal for a GX8.....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom