For the fun of it - pick me a new legacy lens.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TNcasual, Jun 25, 2015.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I thought it would be fun to hear what other's opinion might be here. There is just so much out there by way of choices, and reviews, its hard to fathom.

So here: I currently have adapters for Minolta MC/MD, M42, and Nikon F. As you can see in my signature I use a Vivitar 19 f3.5 on the MC, a Nikon 50 f2 on the F, and a Super-Takumar 50 f1.4 or Agfa 130 f4 on the M42.

What is your opinion on another lens to add to this collection?

I would like to stick with just that, no additional criteria, but I understand that might be difficult. You can check out my Flickr page to see what I usually shoot. I tend to like wide, and contrasty. I would love to have long for birds and wildlife, but just don't have the funds for long native glass and legacy becomes harder and harder to focus at longer focal lengths.

2. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Nikkor 105mm f2.5 or f1.8. Incredible lens. I use it a lot. Crazy sharp
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Olympus 24 f2.8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Hmmm...It'd be a little self serving..because I've ended up with two copies of the same lens (one is now for sale :))....but I have really enjoyed using the MD 50/1.4 (49mm thread).

I also have a 50/1.4 Super - Takumar (looks like the version right after the 8 element) - but have not spent as much time with it as the Minolta.

I find I prefer the colors, tonality, and overall rendition of my portraits out of the of the MD over any lens I have used. (including the oly 45/pl 25/oly 25...)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I think I would want something other than a 50mm. The Super-Takumar and the Nikons I have do well for me. Thanks.
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    In my experience, good wide legacy options are limited due to the crop factor (which transform an ultra-wide lens designed for a 35mm system into a wide-normal lens on :mu43:) as well as the thick sensor stacks of the :mu43: cameras. I doubt you're going to find much of anything useful (and relatively inexpensive) that's wider or performs better than the Vivitar 19mm you've got. Also, long focal lengths are of limited value both due to size and the MF challenges you mention. You've already got a couple of nice 50mm options as well as a workable mid-tele in the 130mm, so there's not much point in adding duplication in those ranges.

In looking at your Flickr it seems that you're doing a bit of close-focus work with your kit 14-42 lens, so I wonder about the possibility of adding a true macro lens. There are quite a few good options for that. I really like my Canon FD 50mm/3.5 macro. If you're looking to leverage an existing adapter, Nikon, Minolta and Pentax all have similar lenses. If you want something longer, the Kiron/Vivitar/Lester Dine 105/2.8 lenses are much loved, as it the Olympus OM 90mm/f2 and the Tokina 90mm/f2.5 (a.k.a. the Bokina).

If you're just looking for something different, you really can't go wrong with the fun, cheap c-mount Fujian 25/1.4 and 35/1.7 lenses which offer a rendering that sets them apart. Something longer in the same vein is the Computar 75/1.4 or similar Cosmicar 75/1.4 both of which offer some interesting bokeh.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    A 28mm f2.8 might be a nice acquisition. I don't own any, my only 28mm is a Konica Hexanon in f3.5, which needs to be stopped down to sharpen up, but in good light it's a very versatile focal length.

I have a Pentax 35mm f3.5 Super Takumar which is also fun to use, and very sharp. It's M42 mount.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    In about a month I've ended up collecting 4 of the old "nifty 50s" so I know EXACTLY where you are coming from.

I've read really good thing about the MD 24mm f2.8 lens. That is on my hit list...(along with a Sony A7 or NEX - something)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Tamron 90/2.5 SP macro or Nikkor 105/2.5. Or Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai-S. Otherwise what about a cheap focal reducer maybe Nikon?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks! These are great ideas. I was actually considering a legacy macro. I ended up getting the MCON for my 14-42 and 40-150 instead. I would still consider a macro lens though. I have heard great things about the Lester Dine.
  11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Where's your 135mm f2.8? Those are cheaper than a pan pizza up here in Chicago.

It's more money, but maybe a cheap focal reducer in M42 mount. That will turn your Tak and Agfa into fast 35mm and 100mm equivalents.

A fast 85mm is nice too,
    • Like Like x 1
  12. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Cheaper than a focal reducer, a tilt/shift adapter would give you more mileage out of the lens you already have.

Of the ones you don't, I vote for the M42 MIR24 35/2.
  13. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    DeeJayK pretty much said it all. I'll add Olympus PEN-F 38mm f1.8 and Mir-1B 37mm f2.8, sharp lenses with a lot of character.

There are two versions of the Nikon 105/2.5 mentioned. The first version has a more vintage rendering. The second version is more modern. They're both excellent.
  14. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    My favourite wider lens to use in recent times has been the Canon FD 20mm f/2.8. I didn't use it a ton in the film days opting for the 17 or the 24 instead, but I love it to death on ยต4/3 where it performs beautifully and handles great on the E-M5.

The Canon FD 24mm f/2 is my #1 favourite legacy lens and fills a gap in your collection better than the 20.

Your flickr has a lot of close flower shots though, so with money being no object, the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro would be my top recommendation. Best macro lens ever made, sharpest lens I own. Bokeh pretty unlike anything else aside from its later clone lens, the Tokina 90/2.5. Doubles as an incredible long portrait lens.
  15. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    If you want something a bit longer, but relatively small and light, how about the Nikon 100mm 2.8 Series E lens. I had one of those and was quite impressed by its performance - even better with a focal reducer.
  16. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    I've only had two Nikon lenses: the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 which is incredible, and the pre-Ai Nikkor-O 35mm f2 which is very usable wide open and one of my all-time favourites. I find 35mm is a great focal length on M4/3 โ€“ much more flexible than the fifties. I'd strongly recommend both. I'd also like the 105mm f2.5.

In M42, I'd go for a Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.4 or 2.8 but these can be a bit pricey. You might as well get a Helios-44 58mm f2 as well โ€“ very cheap and can give swirly bokeh in the right situations.

If you were to venture into different mounts, I'd definitely recommend the Pen F lenses. This is my favourite family of lenses for use on M4/3. The adapter is very slim and the lenses are small too. The 38mm f1.8 is a lovely little lens โ€“ tiny, fast, sharp and affordable. It's the size of a rangefinder lens but has the benefit of a much closer minimum focus distance. I've also got the 25mm f4, which is fantastic, although a little slow for indoor use, and the 50-90mm f3.5 which has also impressed me. All of them are good from wide-open. I'm not sure there is a bad lens in the Pen F range. Unfortunately the faster lenses, 60/1.2 and 70/2 are pretty expensive but the 40mm f1.4 can be found for a reasonable price. I'm on the look out for the 20mm f3.5 at the moment.

Then there's the Konica Hexanons: I've got the 28mm f3.5, 40mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.7. The 28mm is my least favourite and doesn't see much use. The 40mm is lovely little pancake and was the first legacy lens I used on M4/3. I know you feel you've got enough 50s, but if you have the Konica adapter, the Hexanon 50mm f1.7 is so good, and can be found so cheaply, that it would be rude not to have one.
  17. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    My legacy lenses don't get much love these days anymore. If you're interested in any of them I might be willing to part ways. See my signature below for my m42 lenses. Pop me a pm.
  18. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for all the great suggestion here. I really appreciate it. I may have to start looking at the 100/105mm and the 35mm options.

I also like the idea of the Pen F lenses.

There are just so many options, its wonderful!
  19. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    P Angenieux Paris 28mm f/3.5 Type R11 for m42.
  20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

Its scary good.

And then throw the Nikons into the stratosphere and get a Nikon F focal reducer. If you get a Canon FD focal reducer, you could field your Vivitar 19mm on it... :D
    • Like Like x 1