For the first time in my photography life I do not know what I want

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by uscrx, Dec 1, 2017.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I recently unloaded $3,000 worth of gear I don't use including Sony a6300, sigma 18-35, and multiple lenses.

I still use DSLR - 5DSR for portrait 24-70mm 2.8 and ID III for sports using 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and 300mm f2.8. 1DIII is terribly dated and it's abysmal at best today.

I love my GX-7/OMD-E5/GH2 coupled with 12-35 2.8 and 40-150 2.8 but I feel the bodies are getting dated. I use u43 for travel, day to day and video.

I have already dumped A7R last year but picked up a6300 for video at 120fps but dumped it last week.

Do I want to upgrade to Canon 1DX for sports...or pick up E-M1 II, or gasp.. bite the bullet and dump all my Canon and pick up Sony A9? If I pick up E-M1 II, do I pick up 300mm f4?

I want to do portrait, landscape, sports, and sports video. Just until last week, I was using all 3 systems; Canon, Sony, & u43 (both Olympus and Lumix).

I feel more lost today then ever as I always knew what I wanted and didn't labor over equipment. I blame the rapid technology advancement in photography with stiff competitions between Canikon, u43, Sony, and Fuji. Good for the consumers...

...creating confusion to even 35 year experienced amateur photog. And youtube evaluations of new gear don't help. o_O

2. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I was just getting ready to sell my bridge that connects Manhattan to Brooklyn for a little more than you received for your camera gear, but if you're interested...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I like staying in one ecosystem. I would pick up the E-M1 II and 300 and dump the non-m4/3 systems. The A9 is an attractive choice but it makes for a very large and expensive system. Good luck!

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Since you mentioned video several times, you should look at the Panasonic GH5. It is an upgrade to all your mft bodies and has the best video out of all mirrorless (arguably.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Ok send me a link to the sale! :confused:

6. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    But what about stills photography..

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Very tempted.. E-M1 II route.

8. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I quit Nikon to go Micro Four Thirds via an E-M5 with adapted lenses on a Speedbooster. Then I got an E-M1II and started to switch my lens mounts over to EF with a Speedbooster. Then the holiday sales happened and I picked up three (absolutely tiny for me) Micro Four Thirds primes. I've got a fourth one coming my way and I'm not parting with any of my lenses. I enjoy the 60 fps electronic shutter capability for being able to do high speed image stacks, which is a fairly "unique" capability for now with G9 being the other camera that can do this, to be released soon.

Go rent an E-M1II and other prospective body/lenses out to see if you find something you like. I don't regret not buying a D700 or D3 now. I do have the option of acquiring a Canon body if I felt like it, however.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The
    GH5 is a powerful still camera as well. It is Panasonic's flagship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    In you situation I'd go all-in on m43; GH5/ EM1 II and some pro glass (hell if you want great stills/portraits there are some beautiful Panny and Oly primes).
    Personally for your usage I'd plump for the GH5 or maybe the new G9.
    Some mixed body combos probably share batteries which is very handy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    + 1

I have both the GH5 and E-M1 II. The GH5 is a stellar video camera and wonderful stills camera. Conversely, the E-M1 II is a stellar stills camera and a wonderful video camera. Unless there are specific features that you want, you can't go wrong with either. If the OP is set on the O300 I would go with the E-M1 II to utilize the lens IS. It looks like Panasonic and Olympus are tying their long lenses to their bodies for maximum IS.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Don’t forget the new G9. That looks to be a better stills camera than the GH5 and still has pretty good video. The reviews have been really good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Sigh...

OK looking at 300mm f4.

I can wait on e-m1 II. As I hope for a fast depreciation.

14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you buy one (E-M1 Mark II) now there is still $300 off the list price!
    And if you buy quickly you can still get $200 off the 300mm!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Clint,

You ain't helping, man... :cautious:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  16. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    Those E-M1II prices were good, I bought mine refurbed anyways so the pain isn't there since it was only worth a f/1.8 prime.

17. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    I think Nikon D850 will be the best all rounder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Dude... I'm a Canon guy for 37 years. And to swap to nikon would be most costly option.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    You need to downsize to 2 systems. 1 FF and 1 M43. 2 FF is not good for your bank account. Suggesting Canon. But don't sell the Canon lens since it can be attached to Sony with adapter. Also need new refreshment on your m43 line up. Either EM1 Mark II or Panasonic G9. You only need 1 body actually not 3.

If you decide to take EM1 mark II buy 12-100mm F4 and 25mm PRO. That's far than enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    Not to mention you'll pretty much challenge all but the best glass you own on Nikon if you buy a D850. Even then, a lot of the "best glass you can own" for a D850 won't be from Nikon given a lot of their primes stellar performers up until f/8-11 and that's pushing diffraction on that sensor. Which is another way to say "Nikon hates it when you buy anything not Nikon, good luck with good AF."

I'd stick with Canon EF mount just for glass interoperability using adapters if you want to keep your Canon lenses.