For the Film users: what are you digitizing with?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by pellicle, Mar 26, 2016.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

another thread has had me dig out my scanners and make some scans. This has led me to wonder (seeing as I see My Full Frame is Film is active here) : what are people using for capture?

Myself its a combination of Nikon LS-4000 for 35mm (which is seldom now that I've caught up on archiving my collection) and Epson 4875 for 120 (usually only 6x12 nowdays) and 4x5 sheet.

Just interested to know what's being used now days by those here... especially given that film is now strictly used by those who love it (not those in business).
  2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm using a Nikon 9000ED for medium format. I don't use 35mm very much any more. Excellent output, I've even pretty much figured out Silverfast :)
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I just use the shop I get my film developed at - usually low-res 75dpi jpgs but I figure if anything is worth getting the up-res treatment I can always do it myself (I have a Plustek 35mm scanner but its more than my times worth to scan and process all the negs myself).

I was surprised 75dpi scans print out just fine on 4x5's and I've had the occasional one blown up to an A4 board and it looked OK from a distance too.
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    first and foremost I LOVE that gif from Brasil.

On topic once I found that the Noritsu minilabs had integrated scanners - they do a fantastic job and its almost criminal that more use is not made of them, because frankly they are as good as the earlier Nikons.

in my view ...: Noritsu vs Nikon LS-IV ED

lastly I just want to say how good is that GIF in your sig from Brasil!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a Imacon Flextight precision iii, however if I can I prefer to make a slightly lower than normal contrast wet print and scan that on a cheap flatbed...

I also have a Plustek scanner (Not sure on model) however I don't normally like most of the results it generates (generally grainy) so I only use it for Ilford FP4 (it gives really nice results for FP4).