1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured For the early morning lovers: insects...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by orflo, Jun 10, 2018.

1. orflo

orflo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Frank
    During spring I bought some extension tubes, more specifically JJC 10 & 16 mm. They have all the necessary contact points so if it's required auto-focus can be used. These extension tubes are performing very well, even so nicely that I'm considering to buy a second set, but I don't know if that won't reduce the depth of field too much, and if I won't have to focus too closely. The focus length now is about 10 cm, with a raynox 250 attached this is reduced to 3-4 cm.
    A tripod is used, and all of them are focus stacked in camera (oly omd em1), so 8 images give a ninth stacked jpeg. On most of the pictures the Raynox 250 is used, there was some pp, especially to reduce teh impact of the very green background, the pictures were taken in my garden and the vegetation is quite dense here. The lens used is of course the 60 mm macro, and all of the shots have been taken relatively early in the morning:
    42619807831_09d321138f_k. beam me up scotty (but don't forget my back part) (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    42205630652_e8f3e53c58_k. morning yoga (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    41509967375_ff312f78c6_k. oranjetip-orange-tipped butterfly (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    42421954882_50e469caed_k. caught in a triangle (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    41597667205_fd5c61e305_k. flies invented yoga (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    28797791478_df1ff993a6_k. the red ball (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    28798157068_461023fbcd_k. morning balance (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr
    41771752805_674b9aa2c8_k. top of the world (1 van 1) by orflo, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 37
    • Like Like x 13
    • Wow Wow x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Beautiful light, colours and detail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ak300

ak300 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Awesome examples! Thanks for sharing.

Best regards, Alex

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stunning work Frank.

5. Sawdust

Sawdust Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2018
    Missouri, USA
    Wonderful images. I now have someone to blame for trying macro. Thanks for posting!

6. orflo

orflo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Frank
    Thank you for the replies! And Carroll, yes, go ahead and try it, it's wonderful to explore the tiny things of the world and discover all sorts of new things, just bear in mind that it can become addictive :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. macro

macro Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Zealand
    Stunning, stunning, stunning and stunning. I kind of like them as well :) 

All the best, top shots and also top work !!

Danny.

8. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Great shots - really impressive work! How did you manage to get so close with a tripod to allow you to take photo stacks? What settings for the photo stack did you use? Did you use a cable release? When I tru to use my phone as a trigger I am not able to do focus bracketing for some reason, how did you go about it?

Keep em coming.

9. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Stunning!

10. orflo

orflo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Frank
    Thanks, mate, in NZ you have quite a bit of insects, there are many options there to have some insect macros (next to all the other stuff growing over there), wonderous bird shots by the way!

Hi Stefan,
    as mentioned the pictures are taken early in the morning, especially after a cool night insects are quite immobile and they need to warm up first. They crawl up to the top or side of some grass, branch, ...to catch the sun, and that's when it's 'the ' moment to capture them, it's usually one to two hours after sunrise, it depends a bit on local circumstances, temperature, and so on. At that moment it's also possible to get very close to them, even with a tripod. And yes, there are always some that fly away or drop back, but many stay where they are, as long as you don't disturb them too much, you have to be a bit 'zen' to do so. I didn't use a cable release but I have a hahnel remote control: Captur for Olympus/Panasonic It works fine for me, and I don't like smartphones, I tried it and had all sorts of problems with it. Stacking/bracketing is no problem with it,

Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.