For the dog lovers

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Spent a couple of hours at the local dog festival yesterday. I've added a second AD200, so both flashes are now lightweight strobe heads with the power units on my back. Recycle time is faster, I'll exhaust myself before I do the batteries, and it's easier to carry. I had a couple of photographers approach me tryin' to figure out what the heck I was doing. My faves.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
Bonji's birthday. Entree was an omelet, well a raw egg with grated cheese on top! Main course steak and dessert banana, strawberries and watermelon. He was 7, bit of an exhausting day! 🐺

Bonji Birthday by Rick 191, on Flickr

Bonji Birthday by Rick 191, on Flickr

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
Bonji's birthday. Entree was an omelet, well a raw egg with grated cheese on top! Main course steak and dessert banana, strawberries and watermelon. He was 7, bit of an exhausting day! 🐺

View attachment 769620Bonji Birthday by Rick 191, on Flickr

View attachment 769621Bonji Birthday by Rick 191, on Flickr
It’s Ziva’s birthday today, 11 years. She won’t be getting the grand dinner though.

Taken when she was 10 years, 363 days old.

48575777367_8b2f543722_o.jpg
EM123686-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Last edited:

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
'Must say, I'm looking particularly gorgeous today...' Harley, our Flatcoat:

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Alright, you asked for it. :)

I use a GX8 for the RF body style, and because it has a flip out screen. I've tried holding the G9 in the same manner, and it's just too big. I've got a modified L flash bracket that is flipped to the right side of the camera. The original cold shoe has been removed and a new one put on so my flash faces the "right" way on my backwards bracket. A hydration pack is used to hold the power unit of a Godox AD200 on my back, the extension cable runs out to my left hand to the flash head. Both strobes have round diffusers on them; I'm on the hunt for a better quality solution for this, but haven't found it yet. (suggestions are welcome)

m4/3's deep depth of field is an asset IMO, because I don't often have to think about adjusting my aperture to ensure the dogs entire face is in focus. I almost exclusively use the PL8-18. I liked the results with the Samyang 7.5mm FE, but manual focus is one too many things to worry about when you're chasing dogs. Lately I've added in the G9 + the N42.5 f/1.2 as well.

The owner of the french bully seen in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/which-would-you-choose.104985/#post-1308588 snapped a picture that shows me at work.
View attachment 764609
Your dog photos are really special and uniquely your own style. Thanks for openly sharing your methods. It's great to see this shot of you working, it speaks a thousand words!

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Your dog photos are really special and uniquely your own style. Thanks for openly sharing your methods. It's great to see this shot of you working, it speaks a thousand words!
Thanks! I am trying to do something a little different. I think it plays to m4/3rds strengths. One of the other photographers at Petapalooza caught me doin' my thing. You can see the camelback holding the AD200's much better in this shot.

OldRex

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
Husky Puppy

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hopefully she'll be as good a sheep work dog as she is a family companion!

Panasonic GX7 with Olympus 45mm f1.8

Real Name
Ken
Neighbors Mutt

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Had some fun takin' pics of the dock dogs today. Both done using manual focus.

Real Name
Emily
GX8 w/Tamron SP 500mm/8 55B

View attachment 771041Star Dog by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

GX8 w/Tamron SP 500mm/8 55B w/MD mount & Lens Turbo II

View attachment 771042Star Dog by Rick McNelly, on Flickr
I hope this doesn't offend you, but every time I see "Star Dog," I think of this:

I'm told that it says "StarDogs" in Russian, but for those of us (at least some of us) who don't read Cyrillic letters, it looks like it says something else.😁

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom