For the dog lovers

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Still trying to find the perfect location for a split shot. This one is the best so far.
View attachment 765078
@gnarlydog australia asked how I got this picture over in the top 5 for July thread. Instead of cluttering up that thread, I thought it might be best to answer it here.

I'm using a bunch of gear from www.outex.com, I call it my "camera condom". I like what they offer because I don't need a full blown diving housing for this shot, and it's modular. I can use the same condom with a different front port with my G9 and the Panny 100-400. On the GX8 I've got a circular bubble level on the left side so I can keep the camera as flat as possible both fore and aft and side to side. For the split shots you need a dome port, a flat port won't cut it. I've got the 4" dome port. I also put my Godox AD200 inside one of the basic camera condoms combined with their flash port.

number17

Mu-43 Regular
Snapped with GX85 and 20mm f1.7, probably should have turned in HDR because of the strong contrast. Ended up having to dial up the shadow and result in quite a bit of noise

20190805_DL_P1010497.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Bob
Still like the photo quite a lot. I don't find noise on the pup at all objectionable. If the noise on walls and door really bothers you, you might try some selective NR on a layer, masking out the adjustments you've already made on the pup before you apply the NR. From my experience with noise, I think Topaz DeNoise could do a good job on it. The AI Clear feature of Topaz Studio 2 might do even better. Or a vignette could direct attention away from the background and force it more onto the pup. But really, I think the photo is very good as it is.

Snapped with GX85 and 20mm f1.7, probably should have turned in HDR because of the strong contrast. Ended up having to dial up the shadow and result in quite a bit of noise

View attachment 766335

number17

Mu-43 Regular
Still like the photo quite a lot. I don't find noise on the pup at all objectionable. If the noise on walls and door really bothers you, you might try some selective NR on a layer, masking out the adjustments you've already made on the pup before you apply the NR. From my experience with noise, I think Topaz DeNoise could do a good job on it. The AI Clear feature of Topaz Studio 2 might do even better. Or a vignette could direct attention away from the background and force it more onto the pup. But really, I think the photo is very good as it is.
It doesn't bother me too much, but when the photo was taken the subject (my boy) is REALLY dark, despite the focal point is on him. I guess I'm just not used to Panasonic's metering, cause I know on my EM1/10 the subject would be a lot brighter (and both camera's set to center weighted metering). So I had to dial up the Shadow to 100% when I edited the RAW file in LR. Probably could have avoided the problem with HDR but it didn't look like I needed to turn HDR on when I took the photo.

Real Name
Ken
ZZZ_0041.JPG
ZZZ_0043.JPG
ZZZ_0044 (2).JPG

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Dog Surf competition, Imperial Beach, CA

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Quick shot with just the AD200 and a 16" diffuser of a friend's dog, Zoe, while we were camping last weekend.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Pups and Peeps.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom