For the dog lovers

gingergirl

Mu-43 Regular
Ok, you guys who are getting good, in focus, sharp photos of your dogs running, I'm asking for a bit of information on how you do that. I hate to admit it, but I'm struggling getting results I'm pleased with of my guys running. It's the one time I miss my dslr. But I see on this board some folks getting shots like I want, so I know it is possible. So, what's your secret?

I'm actually finding it easier to get keepers with my current setup. Maybe my DSLR was just to heavy for me to hold still. Anyway, for dogs I've had success with my EM1 and 35-100. I make sure I have a fast shutter speed, shoot on continuous focus and really concentrate on holding the camera steady. I haven't tried the tracking yet so I can't comment on it.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I'm actually finding it easier to get keepers with my current setup. Maybe my DSLR was just to heavy for me to hold still. Anyway, for dogs I've had success with my EM1 and 35-100. I make sure I have a fast shutter speed, shoot on continuous focus and really concentrate on holding the camera steady. I haven't tried the tracking yet so I can't comment on it.

I think your EM1 must be better at continuous focus than my G5 is. But I think fast moving dogs are a challenge for many cameras. I'll just keep practicing and trying different settings.

sebs_color

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sebastian
My friends awesome dog!

ImageUploadedByMu-431399560668.893110.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Will her ear stay like that? (I don't know much about boxer ears.) But she looks great!

(We have had to cut our grass already too. And my husband would laugh at that "We".)

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Will her ear stay like that? (I don't know much about boxer ears.) But she looks great!

(We have had to cut our grass already too. And my husband would laugh at that "We".)

The cartilage in her ear is broken. We were told it was from the recent attack she suffered, but when we took her to the vet and he looked at it, he thinks it might be an older injury. He thought he might could put a couple of sutures in it and get it to stand up again, but I am not totally confident it will work. I told him to go ahead and try while she was under anesthesia for her spaying, but when I took her in to be spayed it turned out she had just gone into heat and he couldn't spay her. So, we took Isaac in and swapped them out and he was neutered. The vet said we have to wait a month to spay Izzy and I will probably let him try to fix her ear then, but as I said, I am not very confident he can. She has a scar on the inside of her ear and I suspect the breeder already attempted to have it repaired and it was not successful. We really don't know, though. That is the way with these dogs.

The ironic thing is that we prefer natural ears to the cropped ears, but as these dogs were bred for showing, the breeder had their ears cropped as puppies. I have gotten used to it with Isaac and like it fine now, but if I bought a puppy I wouldn't have it done.

JoJo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
The cartilage in her ear is broken. We were told it was from the recent attack she suffered, but when we took her to the vet and he looked at it, he thinks it might be an older injury. He thought he might could put a couple of sutures in it and get it to stand up again, but I am not totally confident it will work. I told him to go ahead and try while she was under anesthesia for her spaying, but when I took her in to be spayed it turned out she had just gone into heat and he couldn't spay her. So, we took Isaac in and swapped them out and he was neutered. The vet said we have to wait a month to spay Izzy and I will probably let him try to fix her ear then, but as I said, I am not very confident he can. She has a scar on the inside of her ear and I suspect the breeder already attempted to have it repaired and it was not successful. We really don't know, though. That is the way with these dogs.

The ironic thing is that we prefer natural ears to the cropped ears, but as these dogs were bread for showing, the breeder had their ears cropped as puppies. I have gotten used to it with Isaac and like it fine now, but if I bought a puppy I wouldn't have it done.

I also prefer natural ears! I have never understood the mutilation of animals or humans. Nature is so much better at designing things.

NikkoExiledInSF

Mu-43 Regular
A couple of my wire-haired German pointer / springer cross, Mabel. We went to see the bluebells in West Wood, just outside of Marlborough, Wiltshire, this morning.

i-sV97Qdd-X3.jpg

i-szk9qbB-X3.jpg

Taken with OM-D EM-5 & kit zoom lens.

Thanks for looking,

Nikko

Latest threads

Top Bottom