1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

For Real Estate (Realtor)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by uwgb96, Nov 24, 2012.

1. uwgb96

uwgb96 New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2012
    Our real estate office just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with a Tamron SP AF 10-24mm for ultra wide angle shots. It is an enormous improvement over what we've used in the past.

I'm not usually an impulse buyer, but jumped in on what looked to be a great deal on Amazon for the Panasonic DMC-GH2KK for $499.

How does the GH2 compare to other :43: for interior still shots? It sounds like it excels at video, but that would not be my primary use. I'm assuming much of it comes down to the lens.

I'm willing to foot the bill for the Panasonic 7-14mm, but the Olympus 9-18mm seems to be a viable alternative as well. It is not uncommon to get complaints of photos looking too wide, even without this great equipment. I'm concerned that might be an issue with the 7-14mm.

With all that said, is the GH2 - Panasonic 7-14mm combo the best use of $1,400 for my purpose? Or would you have other suggestions? Perhaps a less expensive body with more lens options? One other consideration is size. It might be nice to have something more portable that would work with the 7-14mm.

TIA

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For body option you can consider the G3 that sells now for 299. It will perform the same as the GH2 for stills with a little smaller and cheaper body. Regarding the lens both are excellent, the Olympus is smaller and cheaper while the Panasonic is wider with better optics. In any body you chose get a tripod, it is a must for interior low light photos.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm going to say G3/G5, Oly 9-18mm, and a flash or two.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I doubt that image quality will be a big deal for your type of real estate photography. My guess is that most of your stills will be displayed on web pages or, at most, printed 8x10" So I would not obsess too much about this.

Re lenses, I have the 9-18mm and find that it is an outstanding lens for interior shots. Your concern about "too wide" is well-founded. Depending on the shot, 7mm may give you too much perspective distortion (Perspective distortion (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That said, you don't have to shoot at 7mm, but if you're not going to use the range shorter than 9mm then why pay the extra money for the lens? I would start with the 9-18mm, then sell it if you eventually feel the need to go wider.

The biggest thing that will differentiate your photography from your competitors is lighting. Invest some of your $1400 in training. Maybe hire a pro to shoot a few sessions with you. You can also try on-line courses and experiment in your own home. You'll end up wanting at least three strobes, probably some stands and hardware, and maybe a radio trigger set. I have Panny equipment but from what I've read I think the Oly flash control system is superior. If you haven't actually bought the Panny, maybe some of the Olyphiles can give you advice on equipment from that line.

You will also need a tripod. Peruse the ubiquitous tripod threads here and around the 'net to get advice. IMHO one of the fantastic old TiltAlls (http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/) would do well for you and they run only $50-100.

I would not be too concerned about camera size. Your lighting equipment and tripod will make any M43 camera look tiny. :)

5. Lighting, and learning how to shoot from the right angles AND how to apply perspective correction to avoid heavily distorted looking images.

6. uwgb96

uwgb96 New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2012
    Thanks for all of the replies so far. After thinking about it some more, I think I may return the GH2 and get a G3 with the Oly 9-18mm, as well as some lighting.

In regards to the lighting, what the would be recommendations there?

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    There are so many options it's hard to know where to start.

I suggest you try to find a pro who will mentor you. Maybe you will have to pay him. Maybe you can go on a few shoots as a gofer, working for free. He/she will help you understand the options and select an initial direction. The point of this photography investment is for you to make more money, so making some of the initial investment in training should not be rejected.

Strobist might be a good online place to start an internet quest for learning. Though it will probably not address your needs directly it will help you to get up to speed with the vocabulary.

Re cameras, an articulated LCD is an extremely handy thing to have when shooting from a tripod. That is my preference even though I am an eye-level-viewfinder guy most of the time.

Edit: Here's a pretty good looking site that I found linked from Strobist: http://photographyforrealestate.net/lighting/

8. At the very least an external flash unit with a tilting and rotating head that can be bounced. I did the pics for my rental unit a few years ago with an E-P1, 4/3 9-18mm with adapter, and an FL-36 flash.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    On the Micro 4/3 format the 7-14, is equivalent to the DSLR's 14-28mm, so that's the rang your bud is shooting. It is an amazing lens that I've thought realtors ought to use.

10. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The 7-14mm won't yield any wider results than the 9-18mm if you discipline yourself to not use it set wider than 9mm and by having the 7-14mm you'll still have the 7mm available in a pinch should it prove necessary.

You should also note the following: the "excessively wide appearance" that many see often results more from the fact that the camera is tilted down to center the far wall causing the objects toward the edges to tilt inward. You can eliminate this by either shooting from a lower position (exactly 1/2 way between floor and ceiling, typically 4'), but this results in an unnatural viewpoint as it is 1-1.5 feet lower than the normal adults eye position.

The other fix is to use a wider than needed lens and orient the camera so that the back of the camera is exactly vertical. This yields a shot with proper rendering of the verticals in the picture reducing the "excessive wide angle" look but generally includes too much of the ceiling. By using a wider lens than exactly needed you can easily crop the excessive ceiling