1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

For Mods: Would you consinder a LR subforum?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Feb 27, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For the mods: would you consinder a sub-forum under Image Processing for LR specific discussion? (could add one for aperture or others, as well).

I would love to talk with others, specifically around settings in LR. Post examples, talk about presets, share ideas, etc.

Any chance??

I could also just start a thread that talks about it, but I was thinking a sub-forum might be more fun, and also more useful for different kinds of threads.

• Like Like x 5
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The tools in LR, Aperture, Adobe Camera RAW, Capture one and every other image editing application are all fundamentally the same... Won't it be better to have one forum for PP techniques and explanations regardless of application?

K

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not to me. I'd like to present pics, and ask specific questions, such as:

What level clarity did you use.
    How did you set the local brush
    Which preset did you apply first

etc. even share recipes. For instance, I have a basic preset that puts the tone curve into an "s" shape for inanimate objects. Doesn't work with people. I'd like to share that, and hear about tweaks from others.

Doesn't translate across applications.

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    disagree....I think things like curves and clarity settings do translate across applications...maybe not the precise settings but the general concepts do. If you gave me a 'recipe' in LR, I am pretty sure I could replicate it in Aperture.

K

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's fine, but it's not at all what I'm looking for. I'm looking to talk to people about specific formula(e).

• Like Like x 1
  6. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    +1 for LR only subforum

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +2

8. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    I agree with Kevin.

*edit: Just realised there is already an image processing area. No need to make

the site even bigger

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    How about a PP forum with a LR subforum? I'm interested in PP discussions but don't use LR.

Update: Sorry for the kneejerk response. That's exactly what WT21 is asking for and the PP forum already exists. I never thought about it before because I simply reply to threads and never actually go to the forum.

10. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I'd like to see a LR subforum, as the default RAW conversion in LR is not as good as the OLY software, but it would be worthwhile to get to some optimized profiles in LR, and that's going to require a bit of collaboration to get to.

11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    That would seem a waste. This image processing forum already has less than one post per day on average. You sub-divide forums to manage traffic and there is absolutely no traffic in here already. I'd vote know, even though I use LR. Just put LR: at the front of your post if you want to flag something specific to LR. Start posting about LR here. If enough LR traffic shows up then make a sub-forum.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Over on seriouscompacts, there's a discussion about various, targeted gear actually EXPANDS viewership, rather than limits it.

A nebulous forum (or subforum) can sometimes be less attractive than a more specific one.

13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Having used Aperture and then moved to Lightroom, I think I would disagree.

While you can perform the same functions in each application the processes are sometimes quite different and I am uncertain that what is happening "under the hood" in each application is always the same. The range of adjustment available in each application is also different in many cases.

I think you're certainly right that a lot of principles do apply across applications but there's enough of a difference in practice between applications to justify different subforums for different applications as well in my view.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree - if we saw a bunch of LR specific threads, that would be a good indication that we could use a dedicated forum.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, already thought of that, so I've started a couple of questions that are burning in my brain. I am sure there are also LR forums out there somewhere which I could look for, too. Just thought maybe many in the mu-43 community would want to discuss, the same way they talk about native lenses, or certain camera bodies, etc.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are always people who want more subforums and an equal number who want less. I occasionally get emails from people who tell me they would join Mu-43 if we would just get rid of all the subforums and make it one big MFT forum, DPR-style, and not a week goes by where someone doesn't ask for another subforum on one of the sites.

I think the best policy is to make the forums once there are a bunch of threads for them rather than making forums to have a place to put the threads.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, I still think you should add a sub-forum for Swarovski Pens

olympus-pen-e-p1-gets-swarovski-treatment---photo-1---pocket-lint.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    A really, really deep subforum. :eek:

19. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As a long long time user of Aperture ( As a former Apple product marketing person who helped launch it in europe I had to pretty much know it inside out), it has been my experience whenever I have looked at various versions of LR and other raw processors that all the same controls appear in each. One may be stronger in a particular feature, eg apparently the NR is better in LR, some may offer a wider latitude of control ( actually in Aperture some of the sliders will go beyond their preset limits if you hold down the option key... or indeed you can have multiple stacked instances of a correction on an image)... however I do find that going this route moves you into the realm of dangerously extreme adjustment.

The key to all PP is knowing how to read the histogram, and how the various sliders shift that histogram. Master that in one raw processor and you will be able to do the same in any raw processor.

think we would all learn most by pooling our various experiences and recipes rather than hiding off in our own little cliques :)

K

20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, we've obviously had different experiences.

There is a difference between looking at another application while working in a different one, and actually swapping from one application to another. What initially looks similar in both sometimes ends up being not similar at all in an important way, and what looks different can sometimes be found to be similar when you get a bit more experience and understanding.

I swapped and I found significant differences in the way some things work and how I needed to go about doing some things. It's a bit like using Windows or using a Mac, you can do exactly the same things in each but you may have to do it in very different ways. A set of instructions, a "recipe" if you will for one, won't necessarily work for the other.