for lumix g5 - help setting f1 function for ae/af lock (and unlock)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by freedda, Sep 15, 2014.

1. freedda

freedda New to Mu-43

For the lumix g5, there is the F1 button on the back that I've always used to lock exposure and/or focus. I use it to set a darker or lighter exposure, then sometimes focus and re-compose, and shoot. The thing is, now when I set the exposure this way and take a shot, the exposure locks up and the only way to 'unlock' it it for subsequent shots is to change the aperture, or the exposure compensation, or hit the menu button - it used to be that the exposure would 'unlock' as soon as I stopped holding down the F1 button or after I took a shot.

I'm assuming that there's a setting I can change to have the f1 button 'unlock' when I stop touching it, but I don't know where that is. Any suggestions?
  2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    That sounds like a bug.
    I had a G5, and don't remember any setting for that.
  3. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I have my G5 set up so that a press of the AE-AF Lock button locks exposure, and doesn't release until I press the button again, change modes, or power the camera off. I think there is a setting for how AE-AF Lock behaves (persistent or release after an exposure).
  4. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Look in the Custom menu on page 3/8. You can set AEL Hold to on or off. When set to off, AEL button needs to be held down during your shot. Letting go turns AEL off. When AEL Hold set to on, AEL button once pushed will stay on until the button is pushed again, PASM mode is changed or the camera turned off. At least that's the way it works on my G5.
  5. freedda

freedda New to Mu-43

Thanks Dan. That's what I'm looking for.