1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

For legacy glass and tripod/landscape pics: Speedboosted Fuji X or A7?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Neftun, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I have some decent OM's and Nikkors I would like to use the whole image-circle of on a mirrorless camera. I love my E-M1, but for some shots I'd like even cleaner images, and have been looking at the A7's and Fuji X.

The A7 seems good, but kinda pricey. Fuji xe1's are real cheap on the bay these days, less than a Metabones speedbooster.

My question is this: Is the 24*36mm sensor of the A7's an significant advantage over the X-Trans when speedboosted?

Patrick K

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Given the mixed opinions and experiences with x-Trans for fine landscape detail, I would opt for the A7. The A7r plays very nicely indeed with legacy glass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The X-Trans sensors look very clean because they bake some noise-reduction into their RAW files. That's good for smooth files, but not for fine pixel-level detail. They also have problems with green detail (particularly grass, leaves, that sort of thing) which ends up look kind of smudgey. Whether that matters to you or not is an entirely different matter, but I think for landscape work you won't find much improvement with the Fuji.

A7, specifically the A7r, is a whole other ballpark. Output that is in a class of its own, really. Put another way - a well processed M4/3 file can probably get near the noise performance of an Fuji X-Trans file even at high ISOs, but neither M4/3 or Fuji can get anywhere near the detail of an A7r shot carefully.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I used speedbooster with nex and I would not use it for landscapes. I think its use is for portraits where the center excels, not the corners. For example Olympus 21mm f3.5 has better corners with 36MP A7R then 16MP nex+speedbooster. A7's are getting cheaper, at least in US. If you account you need to spend money on the speedbooster also, just save and wait for nex gen Sony FF which might push A7 prices lower.

• Like Like x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The first version of speedboosters on APS-C had horrible corners, the newer versions with the fancy glass are meant to be slightly better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1