For E-PL5, VF-2, FL-14, or Sigma Lens

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dallasper, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Dallasper

Dallasper New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I've had my E-PL5 for about 8 months now. I have an Oly 14-150 and a Panny 20mm. Now I have the bug for a new accessory. I'm trying to figure out if my money would be best spent on a EVF, flash, or new lens. I'd only really like to spend around 200$.

Opinions?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    VF-2 or VF-4

3. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

The VF-2 is a wonderful - and for me vital - accessory, on both my PL5 (and also my PL2 before that). On some days with bright sun, it's impossible to see the rear screen - whereas the VF2 makes everything different.

Also, it's close to indispensable for close focusing if you are into using Manual focusing with certain classic 'legacy' lenses.

BUT....
    The 14mm Panasonic pancake transforms your E-PL5 into a tiny pocketable walk-around camera....which is way cool.

For me it's a tossup. Both are vital parts of my 'kit' - I honestly would have a hard time parting with either.

My suggestion: go into debt...and buy both!

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Unless you are having a case of GAS or have an unlimited budget, I usually recommend to only buy what you know that you need, and that your purchase solve a problem that cannot otherwise be solved. So my questions to you would be as follows:

• Do you need an EVF? Has shooting without one been an issue for you?
    • Do you need a flash? Is having a flash a part of your shooting style? Is not having one been a problem for you?
    • Do you need a 14mm lens? Is your current lens not performing well at 14mm? Do you need the marginal gain in light? Is its compact size an important feature?

Answering these questions might help you make a better decision, and hopefully you will be happier with whatever you decide on buying. And feel free to post any follow-up questions if that helps you in your decisoin.

Good luck,

--Ken