For Australian Buyers

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Ross have you also used the mc14. How do you find they compare for sharpness?
Using the MC14 with the 40-150 has always been good (for me) & was always attached the 40-150 for outdoor shots but the MC20 is also good, but remember the IQ relies on good enough light though since it is F5.6 at 300mm & high ISO or too slow a shutter speed doesn't help for the best IQ. Focussing wise it is also good.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I've got both, and the 40-150mm and 300mm, 300mm and MC20 is definitely a killer combo, and I find I can get sharper images with the MC20 than the MC14, however, I think that might be because the focusing distance is clearly doubled (rather than a weird not quite 1.5x) so it's easier to judge. The 300mm has seriously good autofocus as well. The 300mm and MC20 has a max aperture of F8 which is something to be aware of. It's not really an issue for getting some bokeh, because your subject is so far away anyway, but something to keep in mind if shooting fast moving subjects like birds. I've had to watch a few tutorials and learn how to deliberate use denoise filters rather than just moving sliders until it looks ok.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I've got both, and the 40-150mm and 300mm, 300mm and MC20 is definitely a killer combo, and I find I can get sharper images with the MC20 than the MC14, however, I think that might be because the focusing distance is clearly doubled (rather than a weird not quite 1.5x) so it's easier to judge. The 300mm has seriously good autofocus as well. The 300mm and MC20 has a max aperture of F8 which is something to be aware of. It's not really an issue for getting some bokeh, because your subject is so far away anyway, but something to keep in mind if shooting fast moving subjects like birds. I've had to watch a few tutorials and learn how to deliberate use denoise filters rather than just moving sliders until it looks ok.
I guess it's a case of, use the teleconverters (either MC14 or MC20) when appropriate & not otherwise, but the MC20 is with the 40-150 lens for everything requiring reach at the moment. It's my latest new toy so it has to be tested. ;) In reality, I'm not sure how much the MC14 will get used now, but time will tell. I wouldn't let it go though as it cost me so little when it came with the 40-150 lens.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I guess it's a case of, use the teleconverters (either MC14 or MC20) when appropriate & not otherwise, but the MC20 is with the 40-150 lens for everything requiring reach at the moment. It's my latest new toy so it has to be tested. ;) In reality, I'm not sure how much the MC14 will get used now, but time will tell. I wouldn't let it go though as it cost me so little when it came with the 40-150 lens.
Same. It'll be interesting to see how the lens lineup looks once the 150-400mm is out. If it's in my price range (who knows how that thing will be priced) I'll reevaluate my lens and TC inventory then.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Same. It'll be interesting to see how the lens lineup looks once the 150-400mm is out. If it's in my price range (who knows how that thing will be priced) I'll reevaluate my lens and TC inventory then.
Price range will probably be very high, I think. Most likely outside the amount I'll be able to justify. :(

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Price range will probably be very high, I think. Most likely outside the amount I'll be able to justify. :(
Really hard to predict, on one hand Sony are coming out with comparable G series glass for perfectly reasonable amounts but on the other hand, Olympus isn't afraid to charge for the top end of the price bracket.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom